Nigel

Locking and unlocking Crusader 2 maps

Pinned.

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

Nigel this is great. Now someone who has the maps for missions in the game can finally unlock them and find out whatever the f**k Firefly studios was doing on the map maker to make those damn invasions work

@Lord Vetka found out how to make proper invasions work, you might be interested in this topic: http://forums.stronghold-nation.com/topic/412-invasions-that-work-2-maps-posted/

Useful Articles

I just read the article. How do you find the file that you are supposed to edit and change to .txt ?

Edited by Lord_Chris
Restored deleted post content

Maps are located in the folder \Steam\steamapps\common\Stronghold Crusader 2\assets\maps for Stronghold Crusader 2, and \Steam\steamapps\common\Stronghold3\assets\maps for Stronghold 3.

Useful Articles

I found the map but I was confused as to how to find the .ed file inside the .shmap file. I found the .ed file by opening the zip file. The only problem is once I changed the extension of the file to .txt in order to unlock the map, I can't change it back to its original format.

I'm not quite sure why, what happens? Does the file extension disappear or do you get some kind of message?

Useful Articles

When I change it back to .ed the format of the file still remains as .txt. For example, it was showing editor.ed.txt

Interesting. Did you extract the editor.ed file before making the name changes or are you trying to make those changes while inside the .zip archive?

It worked for me, but I always extracted it and only placed it back into the zip file after renaming it back to .ed

Interesting. Did you extract the editor.ed file before making the name changes or are you trying to make those changes while inside the .zip archive?

It worked for me, but I always extracted it and only placed it back into the zip file after renaming it back to .ed

I 'cut' and pasted the file on the desktop then I made the change that I needed to do but once I pasted it back to the archive the extension remained .ed.txt

I extracted it to the desktop first, then made the change. Once I did that, I changed the file extension then archived it all back up again. In one test, I did cut but as long as you're changing the file extension it should be fine anyway. When you edit the file extension can you see the '.txt' part (or '.ed')?

Useful Articles

It is annoying if computers think the have to tell you what you can and cannot do.

I had a similar problem at first, but placed the map in the maps folder. Then I had to use what is described as Option 1 in the guide that Chris has linked to above. Try that and let us know if it helps.

You're clearly not doing something slightly right, but from your description I can't quite tell what it is. Maybe it might be best if we saw what you were doing. Would you be willing to video it for us?

Useful Articles

I managed to make it work finally. Everything just clicked in its right place after giving it one more time. Now I'm going to study the map and finally make proper missions.?

Good to know the issue was resolved. Let us know if you have any more questions! :)

Useful Articles

can anyone help with maps? that i can download and help me step by step how to upload it into the game itself? really want to try a new and cool maps

Go to the Downloads section.

http://www.stronghold-nation.com/downloads/

Go to the subsection you want, and download the maps you want.

Those will be in .zip archives, so you will have to unpack them.

Then you should each map file (which have .s2m extension) copy into Documents\Stronghold 2\Maps folder.

Start the game and enjoy the maps.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Please do not duplicate post. You have already posted the exact same message in the Stronghold 2 section.

While we fully understand if you have the same question on multiple games, and would like to receive an answer for all of them, make a single topic in one of our forums and we will answer all questions there.

Useful Articles