Lord_Chris

Week #6 - Stronghold Legends

Your challenge for this week is: Explore the Stronghold Legends editor and create something with custom messages in.

This can be any form of map, any size, any scenario type. Just make it playable, with a win and lose condition, and include at least 1 custom message!

Useful resources

Note: Your entry must be attached to this topic by Midnight on Saturday to be counted in this challenge (14/2/16 23:59). If no entry is attached (via .zip. then your entry will not be counted! The results will be revealed on Sunday.

Good luck everyone!

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

This sounds very interesting.

I got the file and will see what I can make of it. Some dragon blood shall be shed.

Great, good luck @Nigel! We're looking forward to seeing what you can come up with =)

Useful Articles

Here is my map for this challange of the 52 weeks competition.

The title is Four Elements and it is a pretty hard mission.

I would be very surprised if anyone can do it on the first try.

Here is the story for it :)

Four elements

After the giant brothers Fafnir and Fasold had build Odin's new stronghold Valhallah, they were paied with gold and riches. Howerver, evil as they were, the two giants started to argue over the gold and as their fight grew out of hand, Fafnir killed his brother Fasold.

Now the giant turned fully to evil and so evil was he, that he also physically transformed and his body changed into that of a huge dragon.

The story of how young Siegfried went up into the mountain and, with a sword he had forged himself, slew the evil dragon Fafnir is well known and the bards have made many songs about it.

Less known is the story of how he managed to come back from the mountain.

The dwarf Alberich had been guarding Fafnir's treasure and after his master's death he was now at the service of Siegfried. He ordered local farmers to go into the dragon's cave and bring the gold to Siegfied's treasury.

Soon the young hero had all the gold he ever wanted, but also discovered that it would not help him in the mountains, where there was nothing he could buy with it. To get out of the magic mountain, he would need to gather 500 of each of the 4 elements: gold, iron, wood and stone.

Only then would he be able to return to his beloved home in Xanten.

Author's note: In the Age of Legend people believed that the elements were gold, iron, wood and stone. Modern science has long since demonstrated, that the four elements are fire, water, earth and air. This is a well known fact, but some backward looking and old fashioned alchemists still believe even today, that iron and gold should be considered to be elements. That, of course, is utter nonsense.

Acknowledgements: Thanks go to Andreas9541. I took the idea of the dead dragon from his brillant map Necropolis Twins

Hints:

- Learn and plan carefully.

- The ice barrier will not disappear on it's own. You have to go there and find a way to remove it when the time is right.

Edit:

... and almost 5 hours before the deadline, I realize a small mistake in my map. Since I don't have the rights to remove attachments, I am adding a Version 02 here. If my correction is not too late, please use this one as the contest map.

Four Elements.zip

Four Elements_02.zip

Edited by Nigel

This was indeed a very challenging map. I managed this on my second try, only because on my first I activated the dragons by going next to the ice blockade with the Lord. I managed to do it by using the cache of gold that was given to create two ice tunnel entrances, one next to the bridge and one in the estate, and I used the Lord and the Dwarf to go through the ice tunnel. They captured the Stone Circle and then I won.

However, I'm not entirely sure this was in fact how it was meant to be done :D

I went back into the map and started from scratch, and after a few attempts, remembered that you could build a wood camp without any wood. This was the point which allowed me to start the mission properly. Once I had an economy up and running, and a food industry going, I turned towards the dragons. I purchased two catapults, and after some time, I slayed all the dragons at no additional expense. It's a very good mission and you need to think a lot to get past certain parts of it.

I gave you three points for this challenge, because of the level of detail, and the complexity to the map. As per a suggestion a few days ago, I have completed the results page, which can be found here: http://www.stronghold-nation.com/community/52-weeks-of-stronghold-winners/

You can also access it from the navigation menu on the main site: Community -> 52 Weeks of Stronghold Winners

Congratulations on being entered into the draw once again!

Useful Articles

Whow, Chris, I am impressed. You managed to find 2 ways of beating this map, which I had not anticipated.

I did not know that you can attack dragons with catapults. And I completely forgot about the ice tunnels.

Without these things the map is really hard. But even so, there are at least two more ways to win this scenario, if the right strategy is used. And yes, the fact that you can always build the first wood camp for free is part of it :D

If it is ok by you, I will update the map and submit it to the SHN download section for the map library.

I think you can also use Fire Ballistas, but I'm not sure about those. That's not a problem, it would be great :)

Useful Articles

Well, I tried it out - the fire ballisa does not hurt the dragon, but it opens another "cheap way out". So it also has to go :D

The map will be submitted to download section shortly.