Timballisto

Building Walls That Tunnelers Can Try To Undermine But Can Never Reach

I would like to know if anybody has any idea if it's possible to build a wall in such a way that tunnelers can attempt to undermine it, but they can never actually reach it. ?For some reason in the past, I remember encountering certain arrangements of walls where tunnelers simply couldn't reach them, but you could still place the tunnel entrance and they would dig toward the wall, my memory could be faulty though. ?I've tried to reproduce something like that recently, but I haven't had any success. ?Has anybody else ever done this?

I've never actually been able to understand how to build a tunnel entrance, although I've tried many times I just can't work out how it's done. Would you be able to provide some kind of example map for this?

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

I could upload a map with a few tunnelers and an enemy wall, with marked locations where the tunnel entrances are able to be placed if that's what you mean? ?Or are you talking about previous attempts to get this phenomenon to occur?

I was referring more about how to actually make a tunnel work with an entrance. We do have an article on secret passages, [ see here ] but I just can't understand how to make entrances to those passages.

I've tried for hours and hours, but have never been able to get anywhere.

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

The tunnels that are dug by tunnelers cannot be used for moving troops. Their sole purpose is to protect the tunneler on his way to the enemy walls.

(Also you can do limited terraforming using tunnel entrances, but that's probably an oversight by the game designers.)

By the way, the tunnel entrance is a building just like any other and can be deleted. If you delete it why the tunneler is still on the surface, he will start digging at the spot where the entrance used to be, and then he'll just disappear. If you delete the entrance when the tunneler already started digging towards the walls (that is, when the land has started rising slightly), he will just continue digging and eventually undermine the wall.

The secret passages described in your article are just very narrow paths obscured by high terrain. The amount of secrecy depends only on how well the mapmaker did the job of hiding them. This applies also to the entrances.

Regarding the defense against tunnels, here's what I have seen on some siege-that maps. There were freestanding wall columns placed in front of the actual wall. Since the tunneler always aims for the nearest piece of wall he can reach, he will just collapse one of those columns and be thus neutralized.

WBVT45O.png