EaglePrince

Stronghold 2, Sunday, April 10, 2016

Sunday, April 10, 2016; 15:00 (Central European timezone; Belgrade, Berlin)

• Game: Stronghold 2
  • Version: 1.4.1
  • Known participants:
    -EaglePrince
    -Nigel
    -Lord Chris
    -Tokamaps

We would play this one against AI lords. If someone would like to join us on our quest, please do. :) I'm still not sure about the time, I just put this 20:00 as we almost always play at 20:00 or 19:00... If another time would suit you better, let us know, or if you would want to join, but on another day. We can also make more of those events.

Also, we would like to deal what map do we play before meeting at GameRanger!

There are my suggestions:

-Tri Reke(there are many possible settings here)

-Dolina odmetnika(we could play against AI lords from the other side of the river, while we would be in the east. Note that some AI lords can't can't outlaws close to their castle, but some like Olaf handle them easily)

-Forest Realm(maybe less interesting for this one, but we can try that one as well if you want)

There are also many interesting maps by Lord Vetka, such as The Valley, The Journey, Pine Valley, Evilrise, Dugin, Upper Ustates, or Arden. You can download any of them from SHN Downloads Central.

Edited by EaglePrince

It so happens that I have some time on Sunday afternoon, but it has to be earlier than the evening.

How about 15:00 CET (=14:00 London time)? That would give me 3 hours to play.

If I'm right here - 15:00 is actually 14:00 in the UK? Either way though, I'm able to play so I'll join in. :)

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

That's great, I'm glad to hear that!

Now, I guess we would play 3vs5 AI lords, so Dolina Odmetnika wouldn't do - unless we would play against each other, but I am open for other suggestions as well. We can also play Tri Reke, that one would be good for 3vs5, but that is not the only option. :)

How about we try Forest Realm? That looks quite "adventurous" and there'll be a decent space between us all rather than two players playing next to each other.

Useful Articles

As for settings, I'd prefer Freeman, but it's probably best for Nigel to decide too, so I'd say wait (for the other options too) until we start and Nigel can have input as well. :)

Useful Articles

Sure! I agree. I beehive he will like it to start as freeman too, but the best week be to hear how opinion. We should also remind him that there are lots of outlaws on this map, so one will have to make his troops fast.

I should also note that outlaws will attack pretty soon - before we actually become knights, but we will be able to deal with that with our lord's, or we could use wooden walls and men at arms to defend ourselves.

I can't join you today I'm sorry. However I am curious, I didn't think it was possible to play against AI lords during multiplayer on SH2. Correct me if I'm wrong :D?

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

Well that's awesome. Stronghold 2 is by far my favourite stronghold game in the franchise. To finally be able to play against AI with friends sounds awesome. Perhaps I'll join in an upcoming game over one of the weekends :)

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

Sure, Tokamaps, I'm glad you'll be able to join as well. :)

Also, Mathew, we could make another event for the next weekend. Keep in mind, the tool is still being reported as a virus, but like with the older version of the tool - we believe it is safe. If you need any help with the tool, ask us in the tread. And of course, like I have written there already - only the host needs to use the tool, which is great.

Oh, and Chris, you have a good PC, right? I think the Hanne would work better if I set everything, leave the room - leave the host to the another one, and come back. The change could lay if the host is on a less powerful machine. My newer one would be good, but if I'm going to be on my older one - this trick could be necessary. Fortunately, all of you have better PC's than my older one.

Hi guys,

starting as Freeman sounds good to me.

I am not sure I have Forest Realm yet, but I am going to download it right now.

See you on the battlefield in less than 1 hour :D

Also, as it's going to be four of us against two AI lords, I would suggest to play with biggest human disadvantage.

Beside this, I am also suggesting considering to play Tri Reke so we could play 4vs4. I'm not insisting on this, of course. :)

If there are six of us playing, why not have three teams? I could team up with the person who struggles the most, and the other two players could team up, leaving the two AI together.

We'll sort out the hosting stuff over GR, it's probably easier with the live chat. :)

Useful Articles

Ok, the game is up.

Tokamaps, we are waiting for you to join us on Gameranger. [sNH]Lord_Chris is hosting.

Perhaps we could see about the next weekend right away! How about next Sunday (or another day) at the same time (or later)?

EDIT: Oh, and, Lord Chris... :) I just just started reading this tread, and I noticed "Try and keep above 5000 gold. This will reassure that you can train a lot of troops as backup.". Then I wanted to tell you - this time I got everything working in my castle so well, that when I started attacking you didn't have only 5,000 gold as Mathew said would be good, but I know that in one moment I had 18,000 gold. :D This was a good game, though for me it was even better... I was only a little bit slow with adding some economy buildings in my villages. On the other hand, when I was making this map, I set those villages to have larger economies, so they had resources to be sent to my castle from the moment I bought them.

Edited by EaglePrince

This was a really nice game. I enjoyed it a lot.

I managed to take a few screenshots and will happily share them with you here in a small battle report.

We decided to play a 1v2 and as Chris (red) was the strongest fighter of us all, he kindly agreed to be the solo player.

Eagle Prince (green) teamed up with me (orange) and we made the rule not to attack until we had all reached the rank of Duke.

That was convenient for me, because I am usually a slow starter.

This is my castle in 1076, a time when both Lord Chris and Eagle Prince had reached popuations of over 100 peasants.

And yes, Chris and I both learned that the secret for taking screenshots in SH2 is ALT+q :)

We took our time leasurely.

After 2 hours of building I was quite happy with my pretty castle.

I even build a water cistern near the granary. I must have spent too much time in the desert.

But now it was time to attack.

Lord Chris had - by error or by cheeky design - obtained an estate right in front of my doorstep. That had to be my first target.

When I looked over to Lord Chris' castle, I saw how much more structured and organized it was than mine.

Still, he mentioned that he had "messed up" during the building phase. I wonder what it would have looked like, if all had gone to plan.

Eagle Prince lost no time.

Here you see him take over the estate next to Lord Chris' castle.

screen6.thumb.png.205361ff968c28d9b3f07e6d2a59b9a7.png

screen8.thumb.jpg.56428eed2a4d559945eb23a886058e22.jpg

screen9.thumb.jpg.d68ec589b9d48eb0f796b87e5da99891.jpg

screen12.thumb.jpg.90f0b6a878af2cf7f1bcafdee2f7cfda.jpg

screen13.thumb.jpg.a5bf4ea56b01bd3c54c85e017fdc2f54.jpg

Edited by Nigel

After a short bombardment, Eagle Prince managed to bring his ladders against the walls.

My macemen were the first to scale to the top.

But although we crossed over the first ring of his defences and even captured the gatehouse, we were beaten back again.

We tried to form up again in front of his our gate.

But that whole army you see there, was completely eliminated by his knights.

Unfortunately, I have no picture of that fight. My men were too busy bleeding to death to make me a battle painting. :o

We re-grouped and went into a second wave of attack. This time Eagle's knights were able to break through the inner wall.

Finally, this was the last push. Under fire from Lord Chris' crossbowmen, the princely knights managed to storm the keep.

screen14.thumb.jpg.2248106ea0046a214c90d8e4523e3ba4.jpg

screen15.thumb.jpg.e71a1c370684ff5c0626d83987213091.jpg

screen16.thumb.jpg.9eaee6e19a2296bb02578ce41296dd3d.jpg

screen17.thumb.jpg.bd5cd095cc1a91f5a5a23cd811550469.jpg

screen18.thumb.jpg.bf6acebfabea7c940af5cbada5202d0c.jpg

Edited by Nigel