Narrikis

How do you increase the height of walls?

Hi lads can anyone tell me how you can increase the height of walls above the default in the map editor? For example in the Haut-Koenigsbourg siege map the inner walls around the keep are much higher on one side. I've an image here (I don't know how to take screenshots in-game so I just grabbed this off a Youtube video. Sorry if the quality's not great).

stronghold_high_walls.png

You can do this of you first place a cliff, and then you place a wall on that cliff. After that you only need to remove the cliff in front of the wall (or around the wall, depending of what you want), and what will be left is a normal wall on a high cliff which looks like one high wall. :)

Regarding making screenshots, while you're in the game you only need to press PRINT SCREEN button on your keyboard, leave the game, open Paint, and there press CRTL+V to paste your screenshot there. Then you just save that image. Also, if you have OneDrive, or something like that installed on your PC (other similar services also offer the same I guess, such as Dropbox or Google Drive), you only need to have it running, start the game, and when you want to make a screenshot, just press PRINT SCREEN, and the image will be saved in your OneDrive folder (or Dropbox, or Google Drive).

Edited by EaglePrince

Thanks EaglePrince! Looks like that trick doesn't work for wooden walls though. Ah well, still useful. Thanks also for the info on screenshots!

I've another quick question on map editing if you don't mind. I've made a castle with some flat wooden walls in it (using the trick with damaging stone stairs and then replacing them with wooden walls to make walkways for archers) but now the game is not letting me attach a wooden staircase to those flat wooden walls. :(

Do you have any idea how I could make the wooden walkways accessible to my troops? I've connected them to a wood gatehouse but it seems the stairs on the gate don't allow troops to access the walls around it, only the platforms that come with gatehouse.

Edited by Narrikis

Ah sorry, I managed to figure it out. I had to place a normal wooden wall just next to a part of the flat wooden wall so that the tower could have something to connect to, then after I placed the wooden tower it connected on to part of the flat wood wall and my troops could have access to the walkways.

I didn't read this till way late (my time). I had a similar ?problem back in the day. You figured it out though. It is a great effect but can't really be added to.

Yeah these kind of tricks take a bit of getting used to. Do you know by any chance if there's a way to lower the height of flat wooden walls? Or does it only work on stone? I was thinking of trying to make a wooden walkway through a swamp map but I can't figure out how I could do it.

Edited by Narrikis

Due to the issue with Swamps not being able to work with any higher elevations, I don't think you can. You might try the old "Lower Walls" trick and then the Swamp effect. We may have a Tutorial. If not I can try to put something together for you this weekend.

Thanks! I'm not really sure how the 'lower walls trick' works. I've seen images of maps that had it, but they were all with stone walls so I wasn't sure if wood can work too.

I honestly can't either! BUT....if you know how to do "stone", try it with your walkways. If it does (and I realize it IS time consuming) then you can "paint" the surrounding location with Swamp.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a try when I've got some time to kill.

Edited by Narrikis

Hi Narrikis, I'm going to answer your questions in segments.

Lowering Wooden Steps

You can create lower wooden steps by using the magic eraser process, explained here:

3UsSwRF.png

1. Place a wooden gate down.

2. Use the map editor's "delete" button (not the player "demolish") to delete a tower on the gate.

3. Place a wooden wall right in front of the remaining wall segment of the gate, and place a wooden tower in a way so that the 2x2 portion of the tower will be in place of the former gate's tower. (Anything in the spot of the former tower will be "erased")

4. Demolish the gate (do not use the map editor's "delete" button).

5. Demolish remaining wall segments if necessary.

This creates lower wooden walkways that won't disappear when you exit out and open up the map again.

This is a huge hassle and sucks terribly. I made a ship using this process, and I was regretting every second it took to build it. I wouldn't recommend doing this extensively. It looks good for all-wooden castles though.

Also, make sure you do not demolish only a portion of the 2x2 tower AND/OR use the "delete" function on the wooden gate after "deleting" the tower. The former will cause part of the tower to remain and be irremovable. The latter will cause a visual issue, where the tower will appear on screen, but it won't actually be there.

You might wanna save regularly while doing this because it sucks terribly when you mess up. There's no fix to screw-ups.

Ctd9Zgu.png ? ? ?7kgGnoM.png

Raising Marshlands

As for the marsh on higher levels, if you want it to be purely aesthetic, you can use the 2000 (or 1500 or 1000 I honestly forgot how many was the limit) stones trick, where you place 2000 stones on the map and any further stones added will cause the land to retain its appearance despite changes. You can create a marshland, then place the stones on top of them after you have already placed the other 2000 stones somewhere else. You're gonna have to play around with the stone sizes and such to get what you want it to look like.

?The game recognizes that there are stones there, but because you have already placed 2000 stones on the map, it will fail to produce any more stones visually. Instead the land will "freeze" in appearance, causing something like this to occur, where you can alter it in a way you'd like.

ArUN6dH.png

I would like to point out that as I mentioned a moment ago, the game recognizes that the stones are there. Which means what you see elevated up is technically not the marshland, but rather stones. This means that the marsh is not functional (you cannot place oil and an oil rig over it) and cannot be crossed through.

If you want it to be functional, then there is no way to do that.

Lowering Walls Explained

As to explain how lowering walls work, when you place a stone down, the land adjusts to the average height the stone is placed on. Say one spot is 50 clicks up from 0, and the surrounding area is at a flat 0. This will bring the land the stone is on to 25 clicks up from 0.

The stone will always take the average height of the highest and lowest elevations. So if you have a mix in between (e.g. 50 clicks from 0, 20 clicks from 0, and 0), you will still only get the mean of your highest and lowest elevation (25 clicks from 0).?

Your walls have a predetermined height when placed, which is obviously why units have to climb up stairs to reach it. So when you place a stone down from the wall to lowered or heightened land, you will get the average elevation between the two. To prove the first statement, place a 1x1 stone on a wall and demolish it, and the height of the land will remain. (Fun fact: This is how you can create "Himalaya" plains, land that reaches elevations higher than "max plain")

Edited by Strife

Great explanation Strife! Very much appreciated! I've encountered that glitch with the half-visible towers or towers that look like they're there but aren't. I always wondered what was causing that.

Well I'll have to go experiment with it a bit. Looks like a tiresome process like you said, but could give some neat results. Cheers! :)