Steinhardt

A castle builders opinion

As I intend to upload several castles more I should introduce myself a little bit more. I know stronghold since 2004 and Idesigned since this time lots oc castles, I don?t remember how many. But I hadn`t had Internet for a long time, and I wasn`t interested in uploading too.

I am primarily a castle builder, less a strategist. Hence, the scripts were rather weak just at the beginning. I still use Stronghold 1, just because I am a castle builder. The old play enables to combine all elements unhindered and to design new buildings, there are palaces with 1000 windows, residential building, gate towers, etc. possible.

This is possible with the following plays less and less. Maybe somebody has noted that my castles are based on ground plans of real castles , but these castles, however, are mostly ruins and hardly exist.

Reason for it is the game itself. It is based on elements of English castles, castles in the Midlands or Wales. Thus one can construct models of English castles, but not castles of the other countries. There were dozens different architectural styles, differently than the typically English ones. Models of European castles are an extremely bad joke. Who knows the original, knows, the models have no resemblance to the original. None. Not at all.

Therefore you find always the explanation: ?not a model, partially free design?.? ;-)) And ?.as the originals not exist anymore, or are small ruins, you can`t never prove, how similar my version is in comparition to the gone original ?.. ;-)))

Welcome a'board!

And ?.as the originals not exist anymore, or are small ruins, you can`t never prove, how similar my version is in comparition to the gone original

We can be certain you put a lot of effort into your maps then, as well as the historical knowledge you must have in order to get it correct :) How long does a map take you on average?

Edited by Lord_Chris

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

Generally I need for a complete map 4 or 5 days, much what will be done is routine. But sometimes it proves to be difficult to transfer a structure to a map, than it will be some days more. I know the maps could have somtimes more details, and some mentioned this already in comments. But the decisive point: The maps are all aboriginal part of a large campaign. Even if at the end of a rulership the Castle isn't destroyed and warlike Events did not happen, uses sthe peasants resources up, the ground lost power, and there could be natural disasters. This all changes the maps again and again. If they are too detailed, much spended time was useless. But more important: Large Castles have about 300 - 400 inhabitants, and they all need Food. Therefore you Need a lot of free space for farming on the maps, otherwise you have to buy food every fifth Minute ...... and this could be very annoying ....

Sounds like a really big challenge to get one of your maps right - I know just how hard it is to copy other castles, I once attempted to copy Helm's Deep in Stronghold 2... never again. It's impossibly hard, and requires a lot of patience as well as skill in the editor.

Looking forward to see what you still have in store for us! :)

Useful Articles

It is very frutrating, du ask someone if there are tenical Problems: The?Upload of Stronghold 1 doesnt work correct anymore. He alwas repeats in the ask for the category,, but the question was again and again fullfilled. I tried about four hours to upload a map, but I am now really tired of it.

Your castles look fantastic, Steinhardt. I look forward to playing them.

Wellcome to the site :)

Thanks @Steinhardt, I'll take a look at this and see what the problem is.

Useful Articles

Fixed this problem. Thanks for letting me - and apologies it was so difficult for you to upload your file!

Useful Articles