Tokamaps

Stronghold 2 steam Edition!

Firefly studios posted to a comment under their englis announcmment video of the stronghold legends steam edition:

Stronghold 2: Steam Edition will release in 2017, with all the same upgrades as Legends!

I know, that comment is already two weeks ago,but i decided to post it here, because no one did it before.

Because I'm not in the staff i couldnt post into the town crier.

It's a good thing you shared this with us. That's great to hear. Only I wasn't following things about Stronghold Legends Steam Edition. Is it out yet, and they they say what exactly are they going to bring with this update.

Now what you said here concerns me a little, as we were hoping to have AI lords in multiplayer games, and Stronghold Legends already has this option, ad that could imply that Firefly is not going to bring AI lords in multiplayer to Stronghold 2. I hope it's not going to be only about some achievements, or something like that. Still looking forward to it. :)

Finally some news! Stronghold 2 Steam Edition is soon to be released.

This is what is going to be new.

-Steam Multiplayer: quite good actually!

-Steam Workshop: heck, does anybody really need that... :D

-Some new maps: no way those are going to be better than maps made by Sir Vet, or Tokamaps for example. :D

-Artwork, etc.

-Steam Achievements: might be interesting.

-Visual Enhancements: few new textures, and more resolutions available, so no more stretched screen.

Too bad that they are not going to bring us AI lords in multiplayer. That part is so disappointing for me, and I also see many others asking for that very same thing.

Thanks for posting this - I actually meant to make a topic about this myself and ask for any questions from the community to submit to one of my contacts in Firefly about the new version of SH2 when I next speak to them. I want to ask about compatibility for saved games, multiplayer between the steam and non-steam versions and a few other things, such as whether users who already have a Stronghold 2 license key will be able to get a free steam copy.

I'll try to get as many guarantees as possible for users with non-steam games already. Let me know if anyone has any questions they would like asking!

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

AI lords in multiplayer! :D I would really love to have some gaming events with us fighting against AI lords together...

EDIT:

If we were able to play against William's, and without using knights and some siege engines, we would have to fight like lions in order to win the war!

Oh, but there goes an easy one! Suggest them to implement castle layouts by Ericgolf instead of their own, and to replace two Williams castles with mine in which I fixed their mistakes. This makes even singleplayer a lot harder and more exciting. I'm gonna write them about it myself too, but it's much more likely that they will consider it if you tell them.

Edited by EaglePrince

Well, we could play few games in honor to the beginning of the new era of Steam multiplayer at Stronghold 2. :)

By the way, are you rfortuna from Stronghold Heaven maybe? :)

And one more thing. There has been another video about few maps from SHH picked by Firefly for the Steam Edition. One of them is a map from our dear friend Lord Vetka, also knows as Sir_Vet. :)

Stronghold 2: Steam Edition - Top 5 Custom Maps

If you speak by chance to me, of course we should play some rounds to introduce the new era haha and sorry to disappoint you I'am not rfortuna .

Yes, I was speaking to you! :) I saw that was your first post, and some time before your first post I mentioned SHN forum to him hoping that he would register here. But just to make it clear - I'm not disappointed, what is more, I love the fact that there are even more of us over here! :cool:

I hope that all of us who are going to get Stronghold 2 Steam Edition will play at least few multiplayer games in honor to that. :)

Good news, everyone! Stronghold 2 Steam Edition is going to be released on October 5th. They told us few things in this video regarding this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCV7rwnaWwY

For me the best thing that is coming is larger population. I think that's something many of us will love, especially Chris. :D

Besides that, they'll give us some new maps made by Firefly. I hope those of us who will get it will be able to share this maps with the rest of the community, and without breaking some community rules. By that I mean - I would be willing to share these maps with you guys, if that is going to be possible. Though I hardly believe they can be better than all those maps made by our legends or map making, such as Lord Vetka, and many others.

Also, we Steam Achievements would be introduced, and Steam Multiplayer, which should be really cool stuff for many.

Regarding our wish for AI lords multiplayer games, it appears not to be coming with the release in October. This is their reply in the comments.

as answered in the video. Unfortunately we are not able to implement AI lords to multiplayer at this time. But we've noted this down as something fans want and will try and see if we can add it in the future.

Hopefully they'll bring it us some day soon.

I did write them a comment of my own, but I don't know if they are going to listen, or reply to that question. Well, just another begging to give us AI in multiplayer.

Besides that, I also asked them to bring 600x600 maps to Stronghold Crusader, because now we have three versions of Crusader which are not compatible, so the community is even more diversified - into 1.1 and 1.2, and 1.3, and 1.4. So three separate groups of players who can't play with each other. If they want to change it, and I think they should, they should bring something really cool into the new SHC patch, so that everybody would just give up these older versions of the game.

Back to Stronghold 2... I wish they added Doomsword's and mine castles. Mine for the two large Williams castles, and Doomsword's for the rest. The game would be much more interesting, as their economies would be way way better, and is also important - William wouldn't have an error in his castle's design allowing his enemies to simply run into the castle through two of his towers.

Stronghold 2 Steam Edition has been released today. Now I have seen that the population limit of a castle estate has been increased to 136. I was hoping for more.

What Nigel and I also noticed is that the Steam Edition doesn't work with GameRanger anymore. It starts the game, but it doesn't open the new game room, nor it joins the game room in case somebody else is the host. Maybe that's going to change, but I don't lay my hopes into that.

Graphics look nice, and now we can play it in higher resolutions. I can say it is very enjoyable to play it in 1920x1080. I haven't played it though, but I just tried it. I have a lot of work right now, so playing has to wait for at least one more week. But it is so uncool that Steam Edition players cannot play with CD version players. If that is going to be the case, I'll have to use have two installations of the same game on my PC. We'll see.

I hope I'll be able to post few screenshots these days, or perhaps even a short gameplay video, that would be cool.

EDIT:

Few more words. The current game version of the Steam Edition is 1.5. What would be smart to check is whether the maps created with 1.5 work on 1.4.1. I hope they do.

There is also a new icon. I'm submitting it to the downloads section, so those who don't have the Steam Edition could use it. :)

Oh, and what bugs me now is that they changed moving units from left click to right click. Now you use right click to move them around.

Edited by EaglePrince

Yes, it was good to try out the possibilities with the CD and SE versions yesterday, EaglePrince.

And thanks for posting your other observations. There are two that strike out to me:

Game version is 1.5 for the SE version and 1.4.1 for the CD version. So different versions may be the reason why we could not link up together.

SE version has an increased poplulation cap compared to CD version. That may mean that the two versions may never be able to play together.

I guess it is just how it is and the price we have to pay for getting improvements in the SE version (and for the possibility to continue getting improvements). In that case we may just have to go with 2 installs until everyone has the SE version.

I look forward to your screenshots :)

Yes, you are correct, for population differences it is most likely impossible to play a game with different versions.

Regarding getting SH2 SE, I think it might be the best option to buy the Stronghold Collection for 20 bugs, or less on a discount.

Oh, and by the way, the exact designation of the version is "1.5 Steam". Until I post few screenshots, here's a gameplay video with 4K resolution.

Here are some new maps that were added by Firefly. I hope they would work on version 1.4.1. :) I'd say they will most likely work on 1.4.1. Those are four kingmaker maps, and five castle builder maps.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtpOTZgUTcPPhJx0TgIqgdsHgxHxPQ

About these new kingmaker maps.

Arena Kings is really well designed. This map is a perfectly balanced 8 player map. The downside of the map to many would be the fact that it has only eight small castle estates, and large neutral territory, though some would say this is a good thing for players not being able to build their castle structures too close to each other. Plus, if there are less than eight players, then those estates would be villages, and even if there are eight players... Well, then everybody is motivated to turn the neighbors castle into his village. :p This one is the most interesting to me, and it resembles to those from Stronghold Crusader such as Close Encounters.

37519099236_9c259fc658_o.jpg

Strong and Stable. An interesting map, not a balanced one, with many small castle estates and village estates, and a lot of neutral territory.

37535329352_8b73c3d718_o.jpg

Two Pronged Crown. This one is an interesting map with six castle estates, and several village estates. Three castle estates are on one corner together, and the other three symmetrically in the other. Really good for 1v1 games, but also it might be very interesting for team matches, such as 2v2, 1v2, 1v3, you name it. In fact, it might be perfect for games when one player is much more skilled than the others, so here are those less skilled put close to each other, so they can face the storm together. :)

37519098786_58215b274e_o.jpg

White bear. Also an interesting map. This one resembles to Stronghold Crusader 2 style. Three castle estates and three village estates, divided by a river, which can be crossed by three bridges. I think they marked it as balanced, but it is not actually. Not balanced map for 1v1v1, but it could be an interesting map for 1v2 though.

37519098656_9e33891472_o.jpg

With Chris's approval I would submit those as a pack to our downloads section.

Edited by EaglePrince

Yes- please do submit this pack to our downloads section! It would be incredibly beneficial to have these maps uploaded here. :)

I am pleased to announce that they do appear to work on the 1.4.1 version. Though whether if anyone uses any of the new textures within the game they still work is a question yet to be answered. I've already gone ahead and added a new game version in the downloads for Stronghold 2 for 1.5 as well.

I have noticed that on a press release Firefly wrote this:

We are pleased to finally announce that Stronghold 2: Steam Edition will be released on Steam as a free upgrade for existing owners of the game on October 5th 2017

Has anyone been able to try this yet and worked out how it is done?

Useful Articles

Sure, I will submit later. Now I need to study for my exam, but I would submit it some time later when I would make a rest. :)

That's great to hear! What do you think, should I submit those new maps as 1.5, or 1.4.1? I mean, they were created before announcing 1.5, and it is possible that they were indeed created by 1.4.1. And not to discourage somebody from downloading them. :D

Speaking of announcements. :)

Excited about FUTURE Strongholds? You'll be pleased to know that for Stronghold Next we'll be returning to our sim focus that started it all

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/DLcyTA4X4AEFtci.mp4

And below of the text is a gif from Stronghold 2 stone keep which I also posted here with a link. :)

But they still need to work on Steam Edition though. I have tried it, but I haven't played it much actually. My mom does however, and I do have a look now and then at how everything looks. :D There are some bugs with graphics, which I think I mentioned. Ballistae being invisible, one can only see the wheels and engineers, but it's invisible only until it fires. Also that colored thing on knights helmet, I don't know how it is called in English. (Crusader, sorry for disappointing you. :( ) When you zoom in, it's metallic, not colored.

Some people also have some troubles with the multiplayer lobby, but they are able to play the game.

And so many people are asking for AI lords in multiplayer! I hope Firefly will work on that too, but I don't hope for much. :( It would be so good if we were able to play against AI just like in Crusader. :( Stronghold 2 is awesome for playing against AI lords, especially with improved castle layouts, and it's so disappointing that we don't have that.

Edited by EaglePrince

What do you think, should I submit those new maps as 1.5, or 1.4.1? I mean, they were created before announcing 1.5, and it is possible that they were indeed created by 1.4.1.

I'd say 1.5 as even if they were created beforehand, it's still been released with them. I think that makes more sense.

Useful Articles

OK.

And just in case I answered a wrong question. For those who had Stronghold 2 on Steam, the game just updated itself to the newer version, which is Steam Edition. I didn't buy Stronghold 2 SE separately, I have the Stronghold Collection.

I have submitted the kingmaker maps, and now I'll also submit the free build maps.

But one thing is still puzzling me. What is this Great Britain map? I believe I heard before that they would update their old Great Britain map, but I'm not sure. The map from the game is actually called Great Britain and Ireland. Can somebody with the old version confirm that these two maps, the old one and the new, are different?

And where do I put this map? To put it alone, or to update the first submission of kingmaker maps?

EDIT: Chris, don't approve my first map pack, I'll do it again by submitting the Britain together with those four. I mean, if you agree with me that this is updated version of the map, and I think we have the same situation with some free build maps.

SECOND EDIT:

I have submitted the maps. In one pack are all kingmaker maps, and in the second one are the new or updated free build maps. So I think we should disregard my first submission.

Edited by EaglePrince

So that I remove the correct file- your submission number is #550, correct?

Useful Articles

Ok- I'll try to take a look at this tomorrow. We have a few files in the queue that need approving.

Useful Articles