Lord_Chris

Scheduled downtime - 11/2/2017 to 12/2/2017

Hi everyone,

There will be some scheduled downtime next Saturday and Sunday (11th and 12th February) to move the website to another server, I'll be putting the site in maintenance mode around 9 AM UK time. I've already started some of the transfer, so it should simply be a case of updating the name servers, which can take up to the full 48 hours specified above. The most likely outcome is that it will be substantially shorter than this time (usually it's around 4 hours for me), and you can manually clear your DNS cache if you'd like to view the site sooner than this.

I'll also be making a backup of the site and downloading it on the 10th February, so while everything still will be transferred across, I'd recommend posting anything before around 18:00 UK time on the 10th (just to make life a bit easier when transferring everything else across).

I'll keep everyone updated within this topic - thanks.

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

While transferring some things, I've taken a look at our site ranking. In the last year, it has increased from 3,334,085 all the way to 1,426,586 - and in the last 3 months alone, it has increased by nearly 500 points.

We're also now under the 100,000 mark in the UK, at 78,656. Daily page-views per visitor are up by 50%, and the time visitors spend on the site are up by 25% compared with the last three months. 11.1% of people find their way to here from YouTube as well.

I've also discovered that the 5 most popular search terms which bring users here:

1. stronghold legends - 14.71%
  2. stronghold crusader 2 maps - 13.04%
  3. stronghold kingdoms forum - 9.19%
  4. granny viewer - 8.12%
  5. gameranger - 6.37%

Visits from search engines (e.g. Google) are also up by 33.3% vs. the last 3 months.

Useful Articles

Just a reminder to everyone that the maintenance will be starting tomorrow. A backup will be made tonight of the entire website at around 18:30 UK time.

Useful Articles

Just started to generate the backup. While you can still post, it will make things more difficult to transfer over.

Tomorrow I'll generate another backup if content has changed, and the transfer will start at 9 AM! We'll keep you fully up to date on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StrongholdNationCoUk

Useful Articles

A few updates:

• We now have an SSL certificate on the main site (https) and I'm working on getting this on the forums too.
  • I've removed the banner for the 52 Weeks challenge on the main site and refactored the sidebar menus. The gallery section has been moved to the left menu.

I'm also working on the problem with downloads. I'll give an update when that has been fixed.

Useful Articles