Cortez

Moat and Barclay

I'm not much of a moat guy, I mainly set up a border against the AI, but since laddermen bugged me for a long time, I decided to make their life harder by surrounding myself with moat. However, when I finished it, Barclay's siege forces paused and he didn't send more against me. At first, he had a high number of outlaws at home which tried to march then changed their minds and went back. When I tested him again, he literally held dozens of siege weapons at home (it made the game laggy to look at his castle) and he patrolled with ballistae and catapults. The rest of the AI had no real problem, they tried to fill the moat during a siege. Anyone else encountered this phenomena?

Is this in a custom map or Kingmaker? If it's in a custom map, I've had a similar problem where the game would crash if the AI couldn't reach my keep, this was due to the invasions. I changed the settings on the invasions and this then worked flawlessly.

Is this an invasion or a siege by Barclay?

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

It was a simple kingmaker map. At first, he seemed to try filling the moat, but then, he just stopped. He built some trebuchets which just stood without assembling them and as soon as I removed a fragment of the moat, they began moving toward my castle.

Hmm. What game version do you use?

Useful Articles

What happens if there is a gap in at least one tile in the moat (somewhere) so that they can at least reach the wall in one location?

Useful Articles

There are similar issues with Crusader 1. In such situations certain AI lords would just mass their troops, but do nothing. I admit, it's still somewhat different in this specific case. I mean, it is stranger in this case when he doesn't even try to do any damage with his siege equipment, or try to dig with any troops capable of digging he's got. Still, what I would do in this specific case is trying to ally him with somebody who has no issue with moats, such as William.

Maybe the cause of this issue lies in the the fact that Hammer uses knights, which cannot dig.

Chris, I said earlier: as soon as I removed a fragment of the moat, they began moving toward my castle.

EaglePrince, yeah but he has like 6-8 knights, the rest of his troops are outlaws and others digging units. So, knights aren't his main troops.