Lord_Chris

Official Stronghold 2 suggestions list

Hey, welcome to Stronghold Nation! :)

Yes, that would be interesting indeed. Though I never tried renaming the names of estates. Ain't there some trick to do that, or something like that? Maybe Lord Chris knows. Or it is really impossible?

Hey, welcome to Stronghold Nation! :)

Yes, that would be interesting indeed. Though I never tried renaming the names of estates. Ain't there some trick to do that, or something like that? Maybe Lord Chris knows. Or it is really impossible?

I haven't seen an tutorials on it, unfortunately. It would be really useful though, right now I'm making a Robin Hood map and it would be awesome to have villages called Locksley or Kirklees.

Again, Welcome to Stronghold Nation!

Hope you will Post your completed "Robin Hood" Map in The Download Section when you're finished. You will find many useful Articles and Tutorials here. Our Members are very knowledgeable in their Areas of Expertise and would love to help you with your questions.

I have to agree with our esteemed Eagle Prince. I am unaware of any way to manipulate The AI Files. But please wait, other Members may respond.

Again, Welcome!

You may want to check out this thread at Stronghold Heaven. It seems that this guy was looking into this matter too, and made some conclusions. So if I got it correctly, the game has its own names for estates, and it chooses randomly names for estates, and it is indeed impossible to rename an estate. This is definitely something that Firefly should bring to us. :)

The names of Estates in the game are stored in the language file you're using, and, as @EaglePrince has already pointed out the game chooses these at random. I have managed to change the names of estates in the past, as it's a really easy process.

You'll need to find whatever XML file is in your Stronghold 2/i18n directory and all estate names are in there. Simply change the wording and then re-open the game and the estates will change names. If there are multiple XML files in there, open the text file named 'lang.txt' which contains the file name of the XML file which is used by the game. This is the file you will need to edit.

And, as @Crusader1307 added, it would be great if you could upload your map to the downloads section when complete!

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

I'll jump in just in case to avoid misunderstanding. If I am not mistaken, changing this file wouldn't effect an actual scenario, but entire game. So if one made a scenario like this, they would have their names of villages on their computer, but somebody else would have these names different.

Similar to changing crests. You can change the crest you want to use, but only you will see it in multiplayer, and nobody else. If you want others to see these crests/see these village names, then sending only a map isn't enough. Sending the crests files/the text file would be necessary.

Surely one could just upload the XML file along with the map, with the instructions on how to overwrite the original XML file? This is assuming that once the names have been chosen by the map, they remain the same providing the file has not changed? Or would it be a situation where each time a new game/load is created using said map, the village names would be randomly selected once again?

Edited by Mathew Steel

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

Once the village names have been selected, they're saved in any saved games for that map as some form of ID, I believe, which relates to the language string for that specific village name. They go sonething like 'VILLAGE_ESTATE_1' through to various numbers, if I'm correct.

When the map loads, the game then translates that string into the village name. The reason for this is so that any map can be multi-lingual, no matter where it was made and which version.

But of course for this to work, the names need to be set as various strings in the xml file. You might be able to extend it and add more village names, I've never tried this actually so it may work - but personally I'd find this highly unlikely. I just can't see Firefly developing a system like that. Could be wrong, though.

Once any new game is launched, or a lord dies, or the 'convert to village' action is used, the game scrambles these and randomly selects a new village name. I'm not sure whether it prevents duplicates of already existing names or not (e.g when dynamically changing a village name such as through 'convert to village'), but this is never a situation that I've encountered.

Because of this, the corresponding language string needs to be changed in whatever xml file you're using in order for the updated village name to display.

Good to see you around again by the way, seems like a while since I last spoke to you! How are things going lately? :)

Useful Articles

So, it's definitely possible, just bit of a pain in the behind to achieve? :P

I'm doing very well, thank you! Started my exams today, so far so good, they'll all be done by the end of next week :D?Yourself?

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

It's achievable but you have to upload the XML file with your map so that other players download it and get the translated village names. The downside to this of course, is that you'd lose the translations and only English speaking users would be able to use the map. Unless, of course, you had translated versions for each language.

It's just like crests and other things where each person who plays the map must have the edited files to play.

Best of luck with your exams, I hope they go well for you! I'm great too thank you, been very busy over the last few months, and hardly had a chance to look back, but other than this all good!

Useful Articles

There are some stuff that supposed to be in game but never got in like

- Ruined Keep that we can rebuild, we even have it in freebuild campaign and one in Rescue hawk map (bigger one).

- Custom color for troops i mean now we have only red.

- in Sim campaign we could rule Sir willian , would be nice to have that feature to rule other kings in custom missions.

am sure there is more stuff not used in final game so i hope they will add everything properly now.

Those are some great ideas @Floki, I can't believe they hadn't already been added to the list! I've added them now. :)

Useful Articles

if i remember right there is even icon for ruined castle in game files for map editor.?

Well, I can relate one my old Stronghold wish to this. Why do those conquered castles have to collapse... :( It would be awesome if we could, once we conquer a castle estate by defeating an AI lord, give this castle to one our governor. Then he would repair the castle, and build some troops to defend this estate, and to attack if I tell him to. So in fact, killing a lord wouldn't destroy the castle, but it would become a vassal castle instead.

That could be easy to do in Skirmish games, but I have to admit - it could be tricky in a multiplayer game. Because how would an AI know how to run a castle built by human... In that case it may be easier for him to rebuild another castle from the ground.

Another solution would be for human to deal with these castles on his own, but that may be too much work. I mean, even dealing with one castle while having fights with your enemies can be pretty tough. But a combination of these two could be achieved. Human can build castle structures, and AI would adopt them, use them, and repair them. Unfortunately this one could be misused by many players who wouldn't end up having a Maginot Line instead of few outposts as I indented... :)

I am sure Firefly could exploit these ideas really well.

I remembered this after you mentioning ruined keeps.