Mathew Steel

Petition - Raise Sentence For Rape Charges in The UK

Change.org is a fantastic site that has helped achieve hundreds of changes across the world. My petition specifically is one that has been bothering me for a while now, and with the UK leaving the EU, we'll have a good opportunity to do something about it.

As of now, in the UK, the minimum sentence for a rape charge that involves a 16 year old is 5 years. Under 16 but older than 13 is 8, and under 13 is 10. Arson has a minimum sentence of 5 years also, the same as rape. It's pathetic, and it needs to change.

For the petition to be given to the Government, it needs 100,000 signatures. It's a long way away, but at 5 signatures, it'll be advertised on Change.org's site also. I understand if you disagree with my wants, and that's fine. There is no certainty a new law will be passed if it reaches 100,000, but it will at least be considered.

Here is the petition -?https://www.change.org/p/increase-uk-minimum-custodial-time-for-rape-from-5-years-to-15

Thank you to Chris for allowing me to share it here, and thanks to all of you for reading! :)?

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."