Lord_Chris

"How do I add units from Stronghold Legends into Stronghold 2?"

This has been a question asked all over the internet, and we can finally provide an answer!

https://www.stronghold-nation.com/article/62-adding-units-from-stronghold-legends-into-stronghold-2

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

It seems that pretty much all of the problems we have are solved by simple file swaps :P I think the challenge is trying to find the right ones to swap though.

35011y1.jpg

"To Strive, To Seek, To Find, And Not To Yield." - Alfred Tennyson

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" - Wilfred Owen

I tried changing my lord to Lancelot but his shield only partially appeared, whether I copy his shield files or not. I don't know why he even need a shield when it disappears and uses his sword with two hands when he gets into a fight.

That sounds like you've only partially managed to transfer him across to me. Adding units from Stronghold Legends is a difficult process because of all the animations and movements of each individual character.

Would you be able to list the exact files you copied into the Stronghold 2 folders? My instinct is that you've missed some skins or other files across, potentially even for his weapons. The UNI setup and the Granny Viewer files are for all sorts of things, including weapons. There are also a few additional files called normalmap's which tell the game how the light should react to specific things. If I remember correctly, Lancelot is one of those units which uses that file, in at least one place, possibly his shield but I also believe (from memory) his Sword as well.

Useful Articles

In models I copied everything that had the "lancelot", which is 4 shields in row, a weapon and 6 files in row which start with the name "lancelot".

It is possible, as disappointing as it may be, that these files are just not loaded in Stronghold 2 because they aren't used for the standard Lord. I've checked and I can't see anything else that needs to be copied across.

It sounds like the game is just not loading these files for some reason. Have you tried on a lord/unit which uses a shield instead? While for practical use this isn't what you want, it will let you know if it's because the Lord unit doesn't use a shield in Stronghold 2 or not and it's simply not loading the resources you added in, or whether it's another underlying issue.

Useful Articles

Well, there isn't much option. The player lords aren't transferable, apparently Lancelot also seems buggy, so I can only play with Mordred who was used as an example.

Almost every unit other than the Lords can be transferred, I've even had Polar Bears replacing the Horses for the 'Light Cavalry' unit before. Though looking back on that tutorial, it is very badly in need of an update. When I wrote that tutorial it was true that for some reason Vlad, Dietrich and Arthur couldn't be fully transferred, though I definitely remember eventually porting Arthur across because I remember seeing that the glow on his Sword wasn't present anymore. Vlad, I remember seeing the "sharpened pole" he has in Stronghold 2. Whether I did eventually manage to transfer Vlad himself though, or whether I just transferred his Weapon I'm afraid I can't remember.

I'm not sure when I will have time, but I will definitely have this updated within the next week which should make this tutorial a lot clearer. Until that time, questions can still be asked on the forum though and I will do my best to answer them.

Useful Articles

Well, so guy allegedly made it on youtube, but Arthur's sword was glowing red. It would be fun if the lord's equipments would be changable as well, but I'm not very experienced in modding. I mainly wanted to transfer Dietrich, but only his head appeared when I tried, so I sticked to Lancelot, but he was buggy as well. Kinda disappointing.

It would be fun if the lord's equipments would be changable as well, but I'm not very experienced in modding.

Lord and troop weapons are definitely able to be added into Stronghold 2, and easily as well. I will write a tutorial on this within the next week and let you know here when it's done.

That's as simple as swapping two files, if I remember correctly. But there are definitely no restrictions on swapping weapons.

I mainly wanted to transfer Dietrich, but only his head appeared when I tried, so I sticked to Lancelot, but he was buggy as well. Kinda disappointing.

In the new updated version of this tutorial, I will focus on Dietrich specifically (as well as Mordred) if I can do so.

Useful Articles

Thanks. I tried weapon switch with my first guess aka like the lord swap, renaming the mace into the knight's weapon. It worked and he used it correctly, but just like when I use teamcrest as color in order to change team color, there's a bug. If I view the unit from a certain distance, the mace turns back into sword. Similar bug occurs with the pikemen's original helmet, it disappears when I'm looking at the unit from a bigger height.

Hello, Cortez - and welcome to The Nation!

Yes, you will have the effect of your weapons file switch back to their original appearence when you zoom out. I experienced this with my Fighting Monks, removing their Quarterstaff and replacing it with The Pike. Unfortunately, this effect cannot be fixed (that I am aware of).

Also, be careful if you try to change and weapons for Mounted Troops. I find the switch doesn't work.

Welcome, Again!

Edited by Crusader1307

Thank you. It is kinda disappointing, it's hard to play without properly overseeing the battlefield. Don't understand the persistent colors either (although crest makes it work like the weapon), Stronghold Legend has a very simple color switch, I don't know why was it so hard for Firefly to include to SH2.

Hi @Cortez,

I have managed to fix this issue, although I can't remember off-hand how I did it. It was a case that the game uses a seperate file for objects which are zommed in opposed to those that are zoomed out, but off-hand I can't remember the name of these files. You can change it to the exact same file you have for your weapont though, to make it work. If you look very carefully in the weapons directoty you should be able to find the file you need.

Unfortunately I'm not on ym home PC right now so I'm unable to check, although I will when I write up the article later this week.

Don't understand the persistent colors either (although crest makes it work like the weapon), Stronghold Legend has a very simple color switch, I don't know why was it so hard for Firefly to include to SH2.

There is a tutorial available in this thread which shows you how to change your colour, but I personally haven't had a chance to try this yet. It may or may not prove useful to you.

Useful Articles

If you scroll down to this post it changes the player colour.

Useful Articles

Oh, I see now. It's pretty complex and sadly only appears to works on a custom, non-kingmaker map. Seems easier to change the teamcolour file with the teamcrest.

I apologise as it has been a long time over a week - but I have finally rewritten that article! It has much more detail and it loads better than ever before.

The updated version can be found at this link: https://www.stronghold-nation.com/article/62-adding-units-from-stronghold-legends-into-stronghold-2

Useful Articles