Lord_Chris

Small site changes

I've recently re-coded the main site, and although there aren't any design changes, you should notice it's running faster. I've added a new menu item when you're logged in which is a link to submit to the gallery. I've also removed and combined several redundant pages.

I'm also excited to announce that there is a new feature on the site: from now on we have a page here which will show historical events and facts for whatever the current day is. As our expert historian, @Crusader1307 will be posting awesome facts which will be available here for everyone!

We have a new "Castle of the Week" feature coming soon as well! Make sure you keep checking guys!

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

Nice. But will those "On this day" facts remain to be posted in the forum as well though?

I also noticed that it seams that the other forum template got removed. The one which used to be mobile friendly, but buggy as well.

Actually, I think Lord Chris left that up to me. I think for now I will just post to The Main Page. This will no doubt free up some space in The History Articles. I mean, 3 years worth of "On This Day...'' really took up alot of space :)

I will leave the old stuff though, it is difficult to NOT duplicate what happens from year to year. This is why Chris had be add some more ''Modern'' entries. That will be a "little here, and a little there'' for now (you know how I detest The ''Modern Era'')? :D

As for the Mobile Version, I noticed it was gone too. Your probably right, too buggy.

But what about entries for earlier days? Are they going to stay visible, so that we can catch up, or it the old entry would be replaced with new one each day? I hope it would remain as a blog. :)

So you've decided to motivate us to step out from the forum to the main website now and then. I see what you did there. :D

And I think you shouldn't bother too much about duplicating, we have 365 days in a year at least, I don't mind reading some similar or same stuff again after a while, just to remind myself of some interesting facts. :)

No, actually meant on older stuff starting from yesterday. For example, can somebody read the One This Day for yesterday? Now it can only be done for today's day it seams?

And how to we access the One This Day page through website navigation? I haven't found any link on the main page.

The page on the site only shows the current day (for now) because the facts are randomly chosen from a database for each day. They're replaced again the following day. I'll look for some way of maybe allowing people to see previous facts, but for now the priority is getting all the information in there, I think.

Yeah I removed the other forum template because it was too old and too buggy, I will be replacing it eventually (though as we all know, big things like that turn slowly here ;) ) so it could be a while yet.

** Edit **

Forgot about your last point. The navigation menu will be rewritten soon, until then I won't be adding it in.

Useful Articles

Thanks for explanations, I understand everything much better right now. I think being able to see the latest seven days would be cool, but one step in a time. And you will see what is the best.

Regarding the template... Long time ago I offered some help regarding CSS, and making a template better for us. Most importantly, we wanted to keep these color schemes on the newer template as well. I should be able to find some time for that too if that might be needed at some moment. Well, one one hand, now even more time has passed since I used to deal with CSS and graphics, but now I have passed all my exams, and the "only" thing I need to do right now about my PhD studies is research and then writing the theses. Besides obligations with exercises with students, and other work regarding teaching. Still a lot of work, but I'm able to organize myself differently now when the exams have been passed.

I've restructured the site navigation menu and I've corrected all the links on the site from http to https (secure). I'm going to look into the editor next and try to fix the mess when posting sometimes.

You could definitely help to make a better template if you like, but the problem with that is that at the moment this template is still slightly outdated when you compare it to the version of the forum this is running. I'll try and find some time to get a proper template to you soon that you can modify- is your email still the same?

Useful Articles

Thanks. I'll try and get some templates to you today or tomorrow. :)

Useful Articles