Feedback thread for maps created by odisseus

Feedback thread for maps created by odisseus  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Should I continue creating maps?

• Yes, please make more of them
    • Please stop, your maps are poor
    • Haven't tried them, but might do it someday
    • Whatever, Stronghold 1 is obsolete

During the last few days I've submitted three maps for Stronghold 1 and they haven't been approved as of this moment. If my maps are deficient in some way, I would very much like to know, as I try to make them non-trivial and reasonably challenging.

I mean, how many symmetrical castles are already out there? How many castles surrounded by impassable terrain everywhere except the gate? I think we already have enough of this, and I try to make something unusual.

Then again, my skills at the game are far from ideal, so there may well be balance issues or unintended shortcuts that do away with the challenge. In the latter case, I would prefer feedback by private message, so as not to spoil other players.

Or perhaps I may just as well stop making maps, because no one cares anymore after all those years?

WBVT45O.png

Moved to: Site Questions and Support

Hi, @odisseus, I hope you're well.

In regards to your post, I can see there are in fact 3 unapproved posts in the downloads section. The first from 06/10/18, the second from 08/10/18, and the third today at 15:43 GMT. Whilst I understand you want to share your creations with others on the site, please also understand our position.

Whilst we are site moderators, we have busy lives as well. All of us are either in full-time education, or full-time profession, and as such, cannot immediately approve files. The files must be checked before approval as to ensure good quality in the downloads section. Chances are your files are of good quality, and will be approved immediately after testing. However, again, we have these guidelines in place for a reason. I promise you, we will check your uploads as soon as possible.

Please be patient. We appreciate the effort all map-creators put into their work, and genuinely love seeing new content shared. Your files will be checked on Saturday at the latest.?

EDIT: I just downloaded and tested your invasions map titled "Duel".?

I saw in the read_me file you stated the Lord would sometimes not respawn. I did as you said and restarted several times to no prevail. Unfortunately, for that reason, I cannot approve the map as in its current state, the player cannot win.

Feel free to reupload an updated version of the map and I will retest it. If all is well, I'll approve it.

Best regards,

Mathew Steel (Tom)

Edited by Mathew Steel

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

I just checked the map again and it seems that the lord consistently fails to spawn on Normal difficulty. Somehow this problem doesn't occur on any other difficulty level, from Easy to Very hard.

WBVT45O.png

Given the nature of the map, I don?t have an issue with that. Try fix it, then resubmit it. If I?m happy that the map works well (other than the medium setting glitch) I?ll approve it. I did check into it myself and couldn?t seem to fix the issue. The map itself is a neat idea for newcomers to the editor.

I have tried to add a keep, but it didn't help. Looks like this is a bug in the game.

Did you get the lord on any difficulty level at all? What is your version of the game? I have v1.41 from gog.com.

WBVT45O.png

I didn?t get much chance to try Easy and Hard difficulty as I treated the map how the average user would. I followed your read_me file, but the issue persisted. I?m using the latest steam edition of Stronghold HD.

I have submitted a new version of the duel map. This time it works on all difficulties. However, I didn't feel like recreating all that eye-candy, so I made the map really small (thanks to the templates found at stronghold-nation.com/downloads/file/569-new-mapsizes-for-designer/).

The issue with the disappearing lord seems to occur only if you place exactly 2 troops of the same kind in the map editor (e. g. 2 swordsmen, or 1 swordsman and 2 spearmen). Placing 3 troops of the same kind solved the problem. That's strange to say the least.

WBVT45O.png

Just tested the updated version on Easy, Normal, and Hard difficulty. Everything works well. Map has been approved. Well done on figuring out the issue with the mission!

Best regards,

Mathew

Thank you for the attention! By the way, what about the other two maps I've uploaded? They have been sitting in the waiting list for quite some time.

I've just submitted an updated version of the tiny castle map. The update is very slight, but it makes it possible to win defense at very hard (mind you, not in the "wait to win" way). If you decide to publish it, please use the updated version.

Anyway, neither of these two maps have any gameplay problems I know of. Both should provide a challenge, yet are winnable even at very hard difficulty.

WBVT45O.png

Hi,?@odisseus,

One of the two maps were uploaded early hours this morning. I haven't had a chance to take a look at it. As for the other map, one of the staff members seemed to run into a crash when trying the game. For this reason, we'll need to have other members of staff try it out before approving it.

In future, it may be better for you to PM me about approving a map, as it doesn't flood the site with posts related to approval. As said, we'll get around to approving the maps, it just takes time.

Best regards,

Tom

It seems that I'm unable to PM you, or anybody else for that matter, unless you mean sending an email.

On the other hand, I think it would be better if the reviewer sent me a private message whenever he finds any problem with my maps. This way there will be no unnecessary posting and I'll know the map has been reviewed.

WBVT45O.png

Ah of course, new members can't access PM for security reasons. It's sort of a trust system. Once you reach 10 posts, you'll have access. For now, you can email me via "Send Email" on my account. Or the "Email" button that should be beneath my profile picture on this post. If you email me, we'll try and sort something out for the map.

Best regards,

Tom

Odisseus, I just tried the three maps, that are uploaded. Nice ones. Short and sweet.

I particularly liked the Broken Truce. That one could be build up into a sequel of the story. :D

Re-join the king's forces and defend his throne.

I might create a sequel if I think of a scenario that would be interesting of itself. Stories are easy, scenarios are harder.

Besides, there is no way to force the user to play through a set of maps sequentially, like in the original campaign. If he finds mission 1 too hard or just boring, nothing prevents him from skipping straight to mission 2 or even further. That defeats the whole purpose of creating sequels or campaigns.

WBVT45O.png