Lord_Chris

Zero toleration for nonsensical spam posting

Effective immediately, heavy consequences will now come with any spam or unrelated, unwarranted post made on this forum.

After a recent small influx of accounts purely for the purpose of promoting spam, the Moderation team has agreed the following rules which will take instant effect.

• On a temporary basis, all posts and topics made by new members must be manually approved by Moderators
  • New members may only make a single post per 5 minutes
  • The promotion threshold to regular permissions has been doubled to 10 approved posts
  • Additional powers are to be available to Moderators to quickly and automatically permanently ban spammers, post their data to StopForumSpam and easily remove their posts and topics in one action
  • New detection is to be setup to detect and automatically block suspected smurfing and inform the Moderation team of all related information

The Moderation team has also agreed to a change of policy on spammers and spam accounts. In the instance a new user appears to have registered their account solely for the purposes of spamming or general annoyance, their account will be permanently deleted and their IP address blocked. Should a second offence somehow occur, a formal complaint will be made to the user's ISP on behalf of the site.

In the event of a user already registered attempting to spam, a posting ban will be placed upon their account for each spam post which is made. For example:

1 post : 7 day ban

2 posts : 14 day ban

3 posts : 21 day ban

4 posts : 28 day ban

5 posts : 35 day ban

6 posts : 42 day ban

7 posts : 49 day ban

8 posts : 56 day ban

9 posts : 63 day ban

10 posts : 70 day ban

Yes, these are accurate and very, very real. It should be common sense what is acceptable and what isn't, but unfortunately a small minority has pushed well beyond the limits of what is acceptable. We will continue to keep this situation under review and additional powers will be granted to Moderators if necessary to deal with any further incidents which may occur. Further updates will be provided in this thread in due course.

This isn't open for discussion so this topic will simply be closed. However, if you have any questions you may PM them to me. Any topics or posts made about this new policy will also be closed and removed. It simply is not open for discussion.

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

Post approval has now been turned off for new members.

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles