Isaiah

Stronghold Crusader Extreme Scenarios

First of all, I'm new o this site; I guess this site will act as Stronghold Knight's replacement.

If you have been at Stronghold Heavens, I go by the username 'Ircher'; I only recently learnt about this site.

Anyway, I've posted this at SH, but I don't think it got much attention there, so here goes:

It is very possible to make custom scenarios and free build maps directly in Stronghold Crusader Extreme; this post will teach you how to both play and create scenarios for Stronghold Crusader Extreme (henceforth SCE or Extreme).*

* - This tutorial will focus on custom scenarios, but similiar instructions can be followed for Crusade Extreme.

Part I - Accessing the Custom Scenario Menu in SCE:

-------------------------------------------------------

If you've already prepared your save file, you can skip to step 13.

1. Open up Stronghold Crusader (not Extreme) and open the map editor.

2. Create an invasion map and save it under the name "SCE_Custom".

3. Place the keep and the granary on the map (anywhere's fine).

4. Add the win event as having no objectives and put it to basically launch when the level starts (actually, there is a delay).

5. Save your map.

6. Load the map in Crusader and save it as soon as it loads as "autowin" then exit Crusader?

? - Save your castle builder save as "autobuild" to differentiate between the two

These steps apply to Windows (not sure for other OS's):

7. Open your documents folder.

8. Find Stronghold Crusader or something along those lines.

9. Open the folder where your Crusader save files are stored.

10. Right-cluck and press copy on the save you saved early (cut works too).

11. Go up 1 folder and find the ExtremeSaves folder (or something along those lines).

12. Paste the save into that folder. Your save file is now prepared (in other words, you don't have to do any of the steps from 1-10 again on your computer)

13. Open SCE and load the "autowin" save.

14. To speed things up for future times, keep saving the file under the name of "autowin" until you win.

15. Wahoo! You are now in the SCE custom scenario selection area.

^ Note - I am not nor do I claim to be the original author of the above content. These instructions I found from Stronghold Haven by a forummer of the name of Heroesflorian. The next part I am the author of.

Part 2 - Creating Extreme Scenarios Directly in SCE:

-----------------------------------------------------

If you try to skip ahead, you are BOUND to MESS up.

1. Open up the SCE map editor [em](DO NOT PRESS CREATE MAP YET)[/em]

2. Now, READ STEP 3 CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU DO STEP 3.

3. Create a new map then press [ESC] on your keyboard.

If you already selected the map size before pressing [ESC], you should really follow directions and start back at step 2.

4. Now, you can choose the type of map just like in Crusader!

5. Then choose your map size.

Now some of you are going to think I'm lying, as it the top will read multiplayer. I promise you, I'm not.

6. Go ahead and type your description.

7. Press the key combination [ALT]+[,] (ALT + Comma).

8. Press the single player tab.

9. Hit escape.

10. The top should read Untitled - Invasion or something along those lines, if it doesn't, start from step 2 again.

11. The SCE scenario editor works like the Stronghold Crusader editor.

Notes

-------

1. The tatical aid bar is disabled in free-build and invasion scenarios in SCE as those would be just op.

2. Outposts work as normal.

3. When playing free build maps, your save should be a Crusader free build map, NOT an invasion map.

Edits:

------

February 3, 2015 5:38 PM

Added in a little thing about the free-build prepared save.

Improved formatting.

Edited by Isaiah

Welcome to StrongholdNation @Isaiah!

Thank you for providing this tutorial, you're very gifted at writing and was very clear to understand. Perhaps it would gain even more attention if I posted it on the main site under your name, in addition to being here? If you would allow me to of course, it's your tutorial :)

I've also promoted you to a standard member now, so no more new-member restrictions apply. Welcome!

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

For Lord Chris,

I just realized we have a slight problem: as many people do not know about this, you don't have a section in your downloads for SCE invasion maps or free-build map. As I realize it would be difficult in the current time to make a new section, where should such maps go?

At Stronghold Heaven, the policy is they are placed with the SCE skirmishes and clearly state if they are not skirmish maps, but as this is your website, you might want to handle it differently.

What doth art thou suggest? (Sorry for the old English, I couldn't help myself :) ).

Not at all a problem, a category (or rather two) have been created for them :)

EDIT: As promised: http://www.stronghold-nation.com/article/163-custom-scenarios-and-freebuilds-in-crusader-extreme

Edited by Lord_Chris

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles