Charles of Tours

Riverbourne Castle Creation

Your Duke calls upon the service of the best castle designers and engineers of Stronghold Nation to construct a fortress worthy of his excellence!

In English ... @Lord_Chris and I have decided that, instead of drawing up a map in a paint program for the "Adventures in the Duchy of Riverbourne," we would host a map-making competition. The two of us will decide upon the best map created, and that will be used as the basis for this adventure and subsequent ones.

Requirements:

(*) Map and castle must be designed in Stronghold 2 map editor.

(*) Map and castle should be based roughly on the castle described in the Adventure #01 topic's opening post.

(*) Castle should not display signs of being a "super citadel" - use of stone walls should be limited, and strategically placed.

(*) You must create your own landscape.

(*) Map must be submitted to the following email - contests@stronghold-nation.com - by Saturday, March 7th 2015.

Awards:

(*) First place winner receives custom forum title and bragging rights.

Mqb938i.png

Do you crave a life of adventure? Check out our Adventures in the Duchy of Riverborne and apply here to join the action!

Well that sounds like an interesting contest, kind of hard to get an entry in by January 21 though:-)

Are staff members allowed to enter and is there any picture of the castle or is this completely custom?

Can we use a small map for this?

What an excellent idea :D

I strongly recommend that you allow Lord Vetka to attend this contest. His castles are excellent - I can tell you.

I myself am not quite sure if I can make the January 21 timeline :P Maybe if you extend it just a little bit.

Now, where on earth did I put my SH2 disk.....

Hmmm... Stronghold 2... Probably the best mapmaker features, although I know the tricks of the SH1 editor a lot better. Well, I may give it a shot, although it'll be tough considering maps are due in about 17 days ago. Always great to have advanced notice of this stuff. :P

I am glad there is much positive feedback with this idea already. :D

Are staff members allowed to enter ...

Yes, please! :) Lord Chris and I will be the judges (since I am the game master of sorts, and it is his castle after all!), so we will be the only ones not submitting.

... and is there any picture of the castle or is this completely custom?

Completely custom, but you should probably feature a river and a nearby town.

Can we use a small map for this?

Small or large, whatever you desire.

If by next week I receive reports that you mapmakers are unable to meet the deadline, I can extend it by another week (two if you complain A LOT), but I'd rather get the Adventure up and running sooner rather than later. :)

Mqb938i.png

Do you crave a life of adventure? Check out our Adventures in the Duchy of Riverborne and apply here to join the action!

Right, so Charles has gone blind. Two people try to point out the deadline is in JANUARY while the month is currently FEBRUARY and he still misses it... *facepalm*

I've changed the deadline to February 21st folks. If that's not what you has in mind Charles just edit it back. I must admit, I didn't notice until your post Aleks. I just thought they were unable to reach the deadline for other reasons....

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

Right, so Charles has gone blind. Two people try to point out the deadline is in JANUARY while the month is currently FEBRUARY and he still misses it... *facepalm*

Ooops, typed the wrong thing. :lol:

Thanks Chris. :)

Mqb938i.png

Time is running out folks - There is only exactly a week left! Make sure to get YOUR design in and get your custom title!

Useful Articles

The new due date is Saturday, March 7th 2015!

I've decided to advance it in case those map makers out there need more time, as there have been no submissions yet. :)

Mqb938i.png

There should be one entry in the mail box, sent this morning!

Thanks for the entry, @Lord Vetka! :)

EDIT: I also noticed @Nigel's submission. I'll look at both today. Already we have a competition! :D

Mqb938i.png

Yes !

In all friendship, Lord Vetka, but I cannot just let you go unchallenged in this one :P

Is it still worth having a go? I have minimal experience with map creating although I do have good knowledge on how to use the facilities thanks to the tutorials Lord_Chris made.

35011y1.jpg

"To Strive, To Seek, To Find, And Not To Yield." - Alfred Tennyson

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" - Wilfred Owen

Yes, please do - The more entries the better! Thank you for your entries and [user]nigel]!

Useful Articles

Do these have to be huge maps or are they made as much as we want to develop them?

35011y1.jpg

"To Strive, To Seek, To Find, And Not To Yield." - Alfred Tennyson

"Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" - Wilfred Owen

Do these have to be huge maps or are they made as much as we want to develop them?

You can use either the small or large map size if that's what you mean. But if you're asking about not filling the map entirely, I suggest you come up with a suitable "filler" like a massive forest or mountains. Hope that helps. :)

Mqb938i.png

Just a few more days left folks. Make sure to get your entry in! :)

Useful Articles

Today, Chris and I will be judging the three entries to the competition. I'll edit this post with the style by which we'll be grading the maps after I've had my morning cup of tea. :)

EDIT: The scoring process has now been decided upon. The following categories for each map will be scored 1 through 5:

Creativity

Landscape

Accuracy to Description

The scores will be averaged and the map with the highest average score will win.

Mqb938i.png

Ok, folks, the results are in, and we have a winner! I shall list the scores from lowest to highest to keep the suspense ...

Nigel

Creativity: 2.5 and 3

Landscape: 2 and 2

Accuracy: 3 and 3

Average: 2.5 and 2.6 = 2.55

Vetka

Creativity: 3.5 and 4

Landscape: 5 and 4.5

Accuracy: 2.5 and 3

Average: 3.7 and 3.8 = 3.75

Aleks

Creativity: 4 and 3.5

Landscape: 4 and 3.5

Accuracy: 4.5 and 4

Average: 4.2 and 3.6 = 3.9

Congratulations to our winner, Aleks! This competition was a close call, but we have decided a winner after numerous mathematical equations. Nigel and Vetka both submitted worthy maps, and their defeat was not a landslide. Expect the Adventure to reopen soon, and I'll keep this open for a couple days for an aftermath (pun intended) discussion.

Mqb938i.png

Very nice. Congratultions Aleks ! :D

I look forward to seeing the winning map. Will it be available to download for all of us?

Regarding the aftermath ;) - I can only speak for myself, but I know that landscaping is my weak point. So your judgements seem to be right on the spot there.

Will it be available to download for all of us?

I see no reason why not, we could attach it to one of our posts to download - but @Charles of Tours should confirm this too.

Useful Articles

Will it be available to download for all of us?

I see no reason why not, we could attach it to one of our posts to download - but @Charles of Tours should confirm this too.

I think this is a grand idea to see how the current castle "officially" look. :)

Mqb938i.png