Lord_Chris

New Tutorial - Modifying Crusader 2

I've posted this on the main site under a tutorial, but since this helps people to modify the game files which wasn't possible beforehand, I'll post a link to it here: http://www.stronghold-nation.com/article/167-enable-viewing-all-game-files

This can be a help thread in case people need assistance with it :)

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

Great post, red it with interest.

For the mod I decided not to take any risks (graphics can be tricky) but it's good to see that it is possible.

Hopefully some artists stand up ;)

Glad you found this useful =)

I'm not an artist myself, but my future ambitions are to add buildings in from Stronghold 2/3 and upload them here as a mod.

Useful Articles

i have problems with the makeV tool. i can convert and open the file as a zipfile and have all the files like rules.xml and so but if i try to convert it back and put it in the gamefolder the game crashes any suggestions what im doing wrong i had the same problem with stronghold 3.

Hello Wi3s31, and Welcome to Stronghold Nation!

First, it sounds like you may be having a problem with The Game Version being not compatable with your Files Extract (just guessing). What Version of The Game are you using? Where did you get The Files from?

Are you re-writing their "name File" properly? Hang fast though, we have some greater Experts than I who will no doubt answer you query. These are just a few of the questions they may ask.

Welocme again to The Nation...............

Hello, I'm having the same issue Wi3s3l is having with modifying SH2. I can use the makev.exe program to unarchive the files and look at the contents of 'rules.xml', etc. When I place it in a zip folder and use makev.exe to archive it again, the game won't run when I start it. The version of Stronghold Crusader 2 I'm using is: 1.0.22794 which is the latest version on Steam. The makev.exe program I got it from: https://www.stronghold-nation.com/downloads/file/349-modifying-utility/

The file names renamed the same since I only changed the contents. When I replace my modded assets.v with the original one the game runs again just fine.

Edited by CarpalCarp

Hey I got it to work!
I found you need to unarchive/archive the assets.v from the current version of the game. I was unarchiving/archiving an assets.v from an older version it looks like.

The files change with each version so yes, you can only use the files from the current version of the game. I noticed this before a few years ago both with Crusader 2 and Stronghold 3 (as both use the same engine). Warlords is also the same as well.

I'm pleased you managed to fix it, and welcome to the forum! 🙂

Useful Articles