EaglePrince

Stronghold 1; April 25, 2015

Hi, guys! I have spoken to a guy at Steam. He has made several maps for Stronghold 1 multiplayer, and in my opinion those maps look really good. This weekend, if no one else is interested, we would play his new 1v1 map, but if there is anyone interested to join us, we could play another map he created. Both of them can be seen at Stronghold Heaven. Here are the maps.

So, I am about to wage a war, and I hope I will find some of familiar faces - by my side, or other way around. :) Please, let me know if you would be able to play this game on Saturday, or, if you would be able to play another day, or at different time.

April 25, 2015; 19:00 (Central European timezone, Novi Sad, Serbia)

(20:00, Moscow; 18:00, London; 10:00, Vancouver; 13:00 New York)

• Game: Stronghold 1
  • Version: 1.3, HD
  • Known participants:

1. @EaglePrince
  2. @Charles of Tours
  3. BansheeRU

Edited by EaglePrince

I think I can attend that game, but I'll need to practice. Don't wait for me, because there is a slight possibility I will be going out, but I am always early to events if I attend. :)

Mqb938i.png

Do you crave a life of adventure? Check out our Adventures in the Duchy of Riverborne and apply here to join the action!

That's great to hear, I hope you will be hanging with us that evening. :)

Regarding practice, don't worry about that, I'm not much into Stronghold 1 these days too, so I may also be not in the best shape. :) Also, if there are four of us, we can make teams so we could be as equal as possible, and if there are three of us - then power of one single player doesn't have to matter much. In that case we could also make it more interesting by making alliances in the game just like we use to do before. :)

PS: I still remember how I lost my swordsmen in fire after your betrayal - when we were attacking Iso or Leto with you as my vassal. :D That was a fun game, although I died in the end. :D

In that case we could also make it more interesting by making alliances in the game just like we use to do before. :)

PS: I still remember how I lost my swordsmen in fire after your betrayal - when we were attacking Iso or Leto with you as my vassal. :D That was a fun game, although I died in the end. :D

I don't "betray" people per se, I only make sure that there is one winner. :P

Mqb938i.png

Do you crave a life of adventure? Check out our Adventures in the Duchy of Riverborne and apply here to join the action!

I don't "betray" people per se, I only make sure that there is one winner. :P

I see I will have to watch my back. :D

You made it really interesting to me; if I had won, I may had forgotten that game, but instead of that, you gave us an interesting game for remembering. :)

He has made several maps for Stronghold 1 multiplayer, and in my opinion those maps look really good

Maybe you could persuade BansheeRU to upload some of his maps here, our SH1 files are looking pretty empty. :(

He might also want to create some events if he joins!

Edited by Lord_Chris

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

I didn't realize that I haven't submitted the two of my Stronghold 1 maps here, so I did it now. For those who don't know about them, these the two of my maps I created, and both of those maps were played. Regarding Danube River, one can easily come to a conclusion that I was inspired by The River map from Stronghold Crusader, and I like it very much, although for some reason I like The Four Kingdoms more.

I have submitted them here today. :)

By the way, I assume we are using Game Ranger? I'll be sitting on there for a few minutes.

Oh - and would you mind if I invited some people from Stronghold Knights if we don't have any others joining by 13:00 (Boston time)?

Mqb938i.png

Great, I'm glad to hear that you're coming! :)

Yes, we shall meet at GR. Regarding BashneeRU, I have spoken to him only through Steam, so this evening I will add him to my friends.

I wouldn't mind, I would be glad to see players. :)

Wellcome Lord Banshee,

good to have more people who like MP games in this castle.

And, EaglePrince, nice to see that you are organizig SH1 events.

I would love to take part some day, but I norally cannot do weekends (only online for a few minutes right now).

But good luck to you guys and have fun.

I look forward to the battle story after your fight :)

That looks like a very nice map @LordBanshee, it's a shame I couldn't make the event. I'm looking forward to see you upload it! :)

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

Hopefully, there would be more of us, if yesterday wasn't a weekend day, but I have delayed the event once during this week, and I didn't want to do it again. :)

We could try to play another time, perhaps this week as well. The game we played yesterday was exciting, although it would be even more exciting if we had more players. :) It appears that Lord Banshee didn't know about being able to forge alliances in Stronghold 1, and this game may not be his greatest experience with this feature as it was a three player event. If there were more of us, there could have been more coalitions of two players, which would be really great to see.

I will tell the story, I only need to finish something else first. The other PC of mine doesn't work as it should, but I think I know what is the problem. :)

Here comes the story. :)

Before we started we were thinking that few years (in Stronghold 1 time) would be enough for no rush period, but after years have past, we realized that we all needed more time. The map we played is hard - it was very difficult to run castle there. There were little space for cows which was the only possible way to feed the people. In fact, it was possible to build wheat farms, but I chose hops farms instead. After my population grew those diary farms were not enough to feet my people, so I decided to give my people half rations, and to give them ale. This way my food stocks were growing, and I was able to spend some cheese now and then, in order to get some gold. If I gave my peasants normal rations I would be slowly running out of food. I would like to hear how others handled economy on the map! :)

Our battles began in year 1180. Lord Banshee was the most powerful one, and he send his army towards my castle, but not directly to it. Instead, he was going moving slowly, and determined to destroy my economy buildings outside my castle. At that moment I decided to send my troops out to intercept his troops, but I made a mistake there. I let his macemen pass my swordsmen and pikemen, and he made it to kill my archers and crossbowmen which were on the ground. Soon after my swordsmen and pikemen died too. Then he rushed towards my castle, and he used siege tower to climb my walls. His macemen made it into my castle, he was killing my archers and crossbowmen on my towers and walls, and I escaped with my lord out of the castle. Luckily, my ally Charles came to help me - just in time. He also messed up Lord Banshee's popularity and population, although I didn't catch it up how exactly he did that. I believe he could have destroyed his houses, or something like that.

At that moment we turned the war! Lord Banshee was struggling to get his economy running again, although he still had great difference, and lots of me protecting the castle. At one moment Charles and I moved forward, and we started our attacks. It was hard, and Lord Banshee was defending well. After some time his castle began to collapse, and after several attacks we made it to kill his lord. I was attacking him from north, while Charles was attacking him from the east. Once Charles ran into his castle with macemen army and it seemed that Banshee will certainly die, but he burned his castle, and wounded Charles macemen. Later, his crossbowmen finished the job. We had to attack once more, while he was under siege all the time, and next time we made it.

I really enjoyed this game, although I wasn't making my decisions so well, and it almost costed me my lords life. First, I was expecting someone to throw cows, but I didn't know how apothecaries are effective. It turned out that they are pretty effective, and if I knew that, I would have intercepted Lord Banshee's attack more bravely which sure would pay off. Another thing is that I messed the controls of my army, as I was moving four types of units, but I will simplify it next time. For example, I could put crossbowmen and archers under one single selection... Also, I was able to use pitch, to defend my castle, and I didn't do that only because I was lazy. Lord Banshee has tough me not to be lazy. :)

I enjoyed the fight, and I hope other enjoyed it too, and that they will gladly play with us another day too. I especially enjoy Stronghold 1 as economy is slower, and army means more than it does in other games. In Crusader you are able to rebuild your army more easily, while in Stronghold 1 one needs to be very careful, as one battle lost outside the castle can be very costly.

Hopefully Nigel could join us as well. :)

Great story, EaglePrince. That sounds like a lot of fun indeed.

I got to get my system set up before I can join one of these. ?

Are you playing the original Stronghold or Stronghold-HD? Or are the two perhaps compatible?

I have installed Stronghold-HD on my PC right now (got it real cheap off Steam) but will have to look for my old SH disk if it has to be that one.

I am able to install non-HD, but currently I have HD version installed, and that is the version we played few days ago. Regarding compatibility, I am almost sure that those two are incompatible; I do know it is the fact with Crusader. I do have a feeling that most of people have Stronghold HD.

Glad to hear you would be interested to join! :) With more players those games can only be more interesting. :)