EaglePrince

Your experiences with Windows 10 and Stronghold games

Hey, guys! I do realize I could have made this tread in Computer Support section, though I don't need support actually, so I assume this would be the right place. If not, Chris is going to move the tread, and I apologize in that case. :)

I meant to ask what are your experiences with Windows 10 and playing Stronghold games on it? I don't mean to start a tread about Windows 10 in general, though I have nothing against that of course, but this thing is the most important to me at the moment. Speaking about my other programs I assume one would easily make it work on Windows 10 just like on any older Windows OS, or if not - there would be an alternative. On the other hand, Stronghold has no alternative! :D

So, do you have Windows 10 on your PC on which you play some of Stronghold games (and in that case - which games in particular), and how do they work?

Also, what about performance? Does your PC work better in general, and does it run games better (again, in general)?

I'll move this to Computer Support, just because it is more computer related and there aren't many topics there at the moment.

Personally, I don't recommend using Windows 10 for any games, since a lot of them are broken on it. Windows 7 & 8 also have the same problem, but it is possible to allow them to work. I've personally experienced this problem with Stronghold Crusader and on my new computer this was the reason the game would not load. The game will install, but not run - it's extremely frustrating, and it's all due to SafeDisc being disabled. Windows 10 cannot do anything to resolve this problem - but it is possible on Windows 7 or 8.

See: http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/september-2015-windows-updates-kb3086255-breaks-many-games/

In fact - I downgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1 on this machine. I'm not sure about a performance increase too, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if with Windows 10 came a performance decrease, like a lot of other things.

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

I have seen comments on the Steam forum, where someone mentioned that Crusader 2 will not run with WIndows 10.

For now I am staying away from it.

Thanks for your replies. I was just thinking about upgrading to Windows 10, but for me this is one of the main issues about it. I hoped Microsoft would do something to compensate the problem, but we shall see if they are going to do anything about it at all.

I don't think they intend to do anything about the problems at all. Particularly with SafeDisc because they are responsible for disabling it. So any games that don't run will never run again - that require a disc, anyway.

I don't think Microsoft care enough to compensate users. ;)

Useful Articles

Damn... That's too bad. I guess that they "just forward" like "most games today are from Steam, Uplay, etc..." and that because of that it won't matter that much. But I am sure that those who haven't upgraded to Windows 10 haven't done that partially for this reason. There are lots of people who play games, and for this reason they will stick to Windows 7/8/8.1 instead of upgrading to Windows 10.

On the other hand, they obviously want to get Windows 10 to as much PC's as possible - they push it really hard, and at one point solving this issue will be the only way to bring more users. Me personally, even if I buy a new PC, I would do my best to install an older Windows. Although I have Steam versions of Stronghold/Crusader I still don't own Stronghold 2 on Steam, and from this I can only conclude that I wouldn't be able to run it (with the disk)... And there are many other games as well.

EDIT: Maybe NO CD Cracks can help people with this issue, but that makes the situation even worse - buy a game and you won't be able to play it, pirate it, and maybe you could. I'm not suggestion anyone this "possible solution", I wouldn't do that either, but I'm just noting that if this is a solution then Microsoft could be pushing people to break the rules. :(

Edited by EaglePrince

As bad as Windows 10 really is (and it is) I wouldn't recommend installing an older operating system unless you know what you're doing and what drivers it will need, along with if they're actually available.

My new computer is an Acer and I completely fresh installed Windows 8 on it, and Acer removed all the Windows 8 drivers from their website in an attempt to try and force you to use Windows 10. Therefore, internet (both wired and wireless) didn't work, the touchpad didn't work (and still doesn't) and there were lots of other errors, such as with the PCI Communications Controller, which I still can't resolve.

I downloaded the Windows 10 drivers, and luckily, many of them worked. But my graphics driver will crash a lot, I get frequent blue-screens and there are a lot of errors. Sometimes I will lose the wireless internet connection too, meaning I have to restart my machine.

Useful Articles

That's too bad from Acer... I am sure that because of that many who have Acer may not buy the same brand again. Unless most of other manufacturers did the same as well, then customers would have no choice. On the other hand, if you still have warranty for that machine maybe they would have to install those drivers to you? You bought it with Windows 8, and you want it working with Windows 8. Of course, we do depend of our computers, and we can't send them away just like that unless we have another one to use until they return this one. But who knows...

I actually bought it with Windows 10, so they refused to help me on the issue because they don't support downgrading.

Useful Articles