Nigel

Island of Eskania

Although the milestone towers were under heavy attack, the main castle was now pretty well secured with 4 towers. While food was still scarce, wood and - most importantly - pitch, was readily available.

501685075_Eskania1_13.jpg.4b8a5a6b23aa8ffc85a704960ba4f488.jpg

The lords discussed how to rebuild the destroyed tower and decided to place is a bit further away, leaving the ruins of the old one in place as "natural obstacles". That seemed to work well.

437522796_Eskania1_14.jpg.5b715ee1ac353766cc8bb77752a3fb40.jpg

... but it was an illusion.

919114074_Eskania1_15.jpg.d222d3075560da10d96e1e6434fffdd1.jpg

Fortunately, thanks to Sir Andreas' good eye and quick reaction, this time the crossbowmen came off the tower in time and no soldiers were lost when the structure collapsed.

A change of strategy was needed and the lords decided to enforce the first tower and turn it into a bastion.

1940140405_Eskania1_16.jpg.a8e541cf253042f470112fc39001a7c3.jpg

Now the defence was holding up and when the second tower was rebuild, the river bastion was finally too strong for the Wolf to get through.

1519692416_Eskania1_17.jpg.dee78c019abde157a474d42230cc5881.jpg

Edited by Nigel
fixed pictures

Finally it was time to make plans for the attack on the Wolf's castle.

The map below shows the situation: the position of the Lord's castle (1) and the towers of the river bastion (2).

Duke Christopher wisely chose the position for our army (3) so that the assault would pass over the Wolf's food production. The idea was, that he would loose his food supplies early on, and if it would turn into a long siege, time would work in our favour.

1175487525_Eskania1_18.jpg.27b3774ed8000ce6819df127f10ab0fc.jpg

And the plan worked.

305672132_Eskania1_19.jpg.bec575a10f78a3647b1969e06330ddf8.jpg

If you wonder why we were not targeting his exposed granary, it is because we could see that it was empty.

And 36 days later, it was getting rather lonely around the Wolf on his keep.

1749419635_Eskania1_20.jpg.c50becd9b09a1a39792b5bb3cf055dd3.jpg

The Taste of Victory is Sweet !

We were so exhilarated, that we held a little party and gathered our surviving troops for a victory parade.

589160271_Eskania1_23.jpg.22ee8726bab9b33e47c2934a5d6af901.jpg

It was a great game. Thanks Chris and Andreas, for joining me. I hope you had as much fun as I did. 🙂

The way it went, I am really encouraged to make another one in the future.

Edited by Nigel
fixed pictures

It was an amazing game, and it worked very well - it would be fun to have another game similar sometime.

Great write-up too! Not too much text and the screenshots perfectly illustrated the point. :)

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

Glad you like the write-up, Chris.

I wanted to try out this "illustrative style" but had been afraid that it would make the thread too picture heavy. If you or others think it is too much (long loading time), I will move to more text next time. But if it works for you guys, then great.

Glad you like the write-up, Chris.

I wanted to try out this "illustrative style" but had been afraid that it would make the thread too picture heavy. If you or others think it is too much (long loading time), I will move to more text next time. But if it works for you guys, then great.

I like this narration style a lot. I wish I took more screenshots throughout the mission as well - especially the macemen tactic which could have saves us a tower or two had we implemented it earlier.?

The pics are loading just fine for me, so more pictures please.?

I genuinely believe that this could have been a mission from Firefly studios. There is a lot of strategy to it.

Thanks, Andreas. I am glad you like it.

There are many really great maps made by the community for all games of the series. I took inspiration from many of them.

But yes, the fact that a multiplayer mission has worked so well is really encouraging.

I am now thinking to continue the story of Eskania. After all, we have only just landed and the island should be much bigger than the harbour area where we have fought our first battle - and the Wolf has escaped badly wounded but still alife. Also, EaglePince and perhaps other lords are still on the ship, eagerly waiting to come and join us 🙂

But first, King Richard is inspecting the troops that survived the battle.

Regiment led by Duke Chris

891082899_M1_ChrisArmy.jpg.369ae53d7f08d43a1182ed9d863789b7.jpg

Regiment led by Sir Andreas

1292906161_M1_AndreasArmy.jpg.1767075d727342f2d7eab053e754e41c.jpg

"You have done well, men. I am mightily proud of you.

Duke Chris and Sir Andreas, you have brought honour to your name. Splendidly done.

I thank you for leading the men to victory.

These soldiers, of course, are not your troops; they remain the King's men. But the regiments shall remain together and either you or one of the other lords may lead them in furture mission. You shall, however, have the honour of giving a name to the regiment that you have led in this battle. Fameous regiments have always been given names. The Lions, The Eagles, The Unsullied and The Giants are all well known fighters. Please go ahead and suggest a name for these men and they will bear it with pride in in the battles to come."

Edited by Nigel
fixed pictures

Finally I managed what I wanted to do for quite a while.

I have uploaded the map from this mission to the Download section so that everyone can try it out.

I made a few changes to the map so that it can now also be played in Single Player mode. But of course MP is best for it.

Hope you guys will enjoy it, while I am working on the next mission :D

That's great! :) I also agree that MP is the best with this one, so and if you find some time to make another event with this map, I hope I would be able to join. :) I know that it's something you've already played, but if anyone would like to play it again, I would be up for that.