EaglePrince

Stronghold 2, Saturday, February 5, 2016.

Hey, guys! We were talking about playing a game these days, so I decided to make the first of those Stronghold 2 events. I spoke with Tokamaps this evening, and we would both like to play his map first, The Chokepoint Island. I have given you the link by which you can download the map if you want to see the map before he submits it to the Downloads Central.

Regarding time and date, Saturday would suit us both, and hopefully it will work well for others too. I set it to 19:00 by Central European timezone, but if you would feel better if it was differently feel free to tell.

If there are those who would be easier to join if it was on a working day, I'd make another event for working day if others agree, and we could play both times. In that case I would hope that to be Thursday, though I should be free on Friday as well, but then it is more likely for me not to make it. :)

March 5, 2016; 19:00 (Central European timezone, Belgrade, Berlin)

• Game: Stronghold 2
  • Version: 1.4.1
  • Map: The Chokepoint Island by Tokamaps
  • Known participants:
    -EaglePrince
    -Tokamaps

Edited by EaglePrince

Well, as you know, weekends are difficult for me. But if Saturday is good for you and Tokamaps, you should go ahead and play it.

I could play on Thursday and if you like, we can do your map, EaglePrince. Look out for me on Steam from 19:00 onwards.

Sure. I will make now another event for that. By the way, now I found out that I will have to be at university at Thursday afternoon, but I hope I won't come home late. Still, even if I do come some time later on Thursday, I believe Tokamaps would be also willing to play on both days. That is why I scheduled this event for Saturday, I didn't forget about you. :)

That's great, I'm glad to hear that.

Sure. Do we play the same map, by the way? We could play the same one, if you ask me, but if you have other suggestions we could do other way. Of course, if you want, we could play my map Dolina Odmetnika, though that one is not balanced.

By the way, I was playing your map again this evening. I believe you said that there are two estates in which one can build two iron mines? I have seen that the middle estate is like that, but I saw no else estate on which more then one iron mines can be built. I have noticed that those where one can build exactly one iron mine are the one is south-west, in west, and on the hill close to sea. Is there any other place where we can build iron mine on the map?

We fought a great war this evening. We played it on his map again, I was again in south-west, while he was in central position. I was victorious this time, but it was hardly won victory. Tokamaps fought like a lion defending his lord, and he was able to choose good positions for his army to fight. He would choose a position, and he would guard it, and while I was attacking and trying to defeat his troops I was suffering great loses. Luckily for me, I managed to hold the western bank of the river, and I was getting resources from there.

We started with 7500 gold as dukes. I right from the beginning bought the village north of my castle. I tried to attack him soon after no rush period ended if I remember correctly (that was four years). I think that I attacked first after he bought the village on the island. After I defeated his troops on the island I moved more forward to get his village on the hill, though that was only not to let him use that village. Next I tried attacking directly his castle, but I failed there, and I retreated. Then I saw I was able to reach his castle from north, so I sent my troops to the north. At that point I sent my swordsmen to take over the village in the north for myself, and I moved on towards his castle. I failed again, he was attacking my troops while they were crossing the bridge, and I had too much loses. I retreated again.

Next I started to attack him with trebuchets. He was using the river well in his favor. It took quite a while while I was attacking his castle with trebuchets, and I felt that it leads to nowhere. I started to look for alternative ways to take him down, though all ways to his castle were closed. I tried to attack him again from south with laddermen, and I failed again, I lost my knight then. Fortunately for me, he didn't remove the ladders, and he didn't reclaim his gate, so I was able to train light cavalry. I sent them though his gatehouse and I raided his city and his village which otherwise wouldn't be approachable otherwise. This way I managed to mess up his economy a little. At that time his also moved with his lord outside his castle, and he reclaimed the village on the hill - he held his lord there with knights and other troops as well.

I was trying to kill his lord there, but I was failing. Later he moved his lord back to the castle, and I managed to come closer to him, but it took a lot of time until I was able to take down his lord. After five hours for fighting I managed to do that.

This was very interesting game to me, and I saw Tokamaps using lots of trick I wouldn't use. We were fighting a lot, so I was able to learn a lot about using different types of troops. Some units showed to be more useful than I was expecting. :) One of those units is cat. I didn't know it protects units so well against ballistae and even against mangonels. I will keep that in mind, although I keep the same opinion about them as about shields in Crusader 1. They seem to be overpowered, and if someone wanted he would be able to send 50 crossbowmen under cats and attack 50 crossbowmen on a large round tower, and I believe those crossbowmen on the tower wouldn't stand a chance. That doesn't make sense to me, but still, if my opponents wasn't to use them, what's stopping me from using them as well. :)

By the way, you totally skiped the time were hundreds of your knights had fallen.

im going to upload that match.

im still thinking, that it is a shame for me, im thinling too, that the position you had is the best one! lots of space and well defendable and iron as well :)

Damn, that's indeed too much. :D You can use Format Factory to convert the file. It's free and it works really great.

That is correct, in my last attempts to kill his lord I was sending tens of my knights, they were in groups of fifty mostly. We had the deal not to use more than 65 knights and more than 25 horse archers. Lots of my men has fallen in Tokamaps castle.

Whow, it seems you had a really good game with this map :D

Tokamaps, if you do manage to upload it, great. But a 5 hour video is quite a challange to watch.

I guess the great art lies in cuttting the material down to perhaps 1 hour and still be able to tell the story with it.

Still it would be cool if you could do it :)

Well, at this point it's about lots of gigabites, but I hope he will make it. :) I agree with you, it would be great if it was a little bit shorter, but even if he doesn't make it shorter there are ways to make it more interesting for the viewer. On YouTube one can mark those most important moments of the game - moments before our battles for example. The war lasted pretty long, as once our armies would finish fighting, one of us would retreat and rebuild his attacking army before going on again, while the other one also didn't go forward as he didn't have enough troops for that either. Still, I would add that Tokamaps had chances to attack me and make me some real problems (in moments when I was losing my knights) until I manage to rebuild my troops. My weakness was that I didn't have any estate in a well protected location, but luckily, that didn't cost me my head. :D Still, like I said, I like how everything went, and how the war took that much time, as this way I have learned a lot about troops in Stronghold 2. :)

Hmm, also, now I see I totally forgot about this one... :) How effective would be throwing cows on enemy troops? Have you tried that before? I could test it on my computers though, but maybe someone already knows... I wouldn't like to throw cows on troops on open field of course, and that would be from same reason as in Crusader 1 - in reality throwing dead animals used to be effective only when those are thrown into besieged cities, which would lead to break of diseases. I don't see why would something like that happen on open field. Also, fighting with melee units and standard range units such as archers, crossbowmen, ballistae, horse archers is more honorable. Of course, I wouldn't refrain from using them against a castle, that is another story - that is the way "throwing dead animals was meant to be used". I must admit I'm unsure about this matter about throwing animals, maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to use, but I should first test it. :)

The very big Problem BY cutting the video are the neverending skirmishes and intriques.?

But eagle prince, your saying it is possible to add skip to battle Buttons.

I still dont Know how those work or where i can Access that.

Please help me!

I don't know how to do it, but I know people do it after they upload the video. I will first search for an example now to show you what I mean. :) And yes, that would be way simpler than cutting the video, and I agree, it can be such a pain. Especially as when you do it you actually convert the entire video to a shorter one, it's not just as simple as "cutting". :(

This video is the perfect example of what I had in mind. You can:

1. make those yellow marks on the bar on which one can see the important events, and

2. make the links to each of the events in the description below the video.

First way might be aesthetically better, and maybe to someone easier to use and more intuitive, while it gives to the watcher better orientation of where he is in the video, and how close he is to the next important event, but on the other hand, the video is quote long, and it may be harder for someone to pick the exact moment of when that event starts. For that reason the second method could be easier to use.

Regarding the second one - you can just right-click a video, and you would be offered "copy video URL at current time". You can do it with any video.

EDIT: Well, the good thing is that you know. :D

Edited by EaglePrince