Charles of Tours

Stronghold Crusader @ 21st and 24th of June

The main events will start at 13:00 (1:00 PM) EST, which equals 18:00 (6:00 PM) GMT.

We will be using Game Ranger. Look at EaglePrince's thread here for my Game Ranger ID to friend me. My friends list may be full, but you should still be able to message me.

For those interested who cannot attend at those times: I may be available at other times during those days, and at certain times on other days. You can send me a private message over the forums to schedule another game if you wish.

In case a bunch of people jump at the opportunity, I will be accepting people in order of those who contact me (be it on here or GR or another way), with a few reserved spots.

Feel free to post below to reserve spots if you so desire, and if there are any suggestions for maps. Feel free to ask questions. :)

Edited by Charles of Tours

Mqb938i.png

Do you crave a life of adventure? Check out our Adventures in the Duchy of Riverborne and apply here to join the action!

I'll be joining. I know you already know but I thought I'd let other people know as well. It's about time I got back into SHC . :D

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

You know you can count on me as well! :D In fact, I cannot promise I will come, but if it turns out that I'm not be able to come and play at that time, I will tell you here about that. :)

Later we can deal to play some Stronghold 1 game - those games with teams were real fun. :)

EDIT:

As about some the map, I would suggest The Wet Land. I'd say this map is balanced, all have some oasis, some more stone, and there is pitch in the marches. There is also iron in the middle of the map, and we would have to fight over it. :) Although I'd say none will be able to get those iron easily from there, as those are far from defenders castle enough, and one could easily set it to fire, and also close to enemies castle enough so he could destroy iron mines from his castle of with catapults.

ss-4.jpg

Edited by EaglePrince

I'm glad you two will be joining in! =D

Aleks and Leto (also known as Lucien) from Stronghold-Knights may be joining in as well.

I like your idea for a map, Eagle, and there are two custom maps created by my cousin (formerly Joan D' Arc on Knights) which we could also consider. She has given me permission to share these:

Irony

4XZrf7n.png

King's Legacy

8tKkDI8.png

These are two rather balanced maps that don't look unrealistic with 100% balanced rectangular placements of resources. In maps, like The Wet Lands and King's Legacy that have water at the edges, the player is forced to build a realistic, enclosed castle, without walling himself into a corner. I have gained the nickname of "the Human AI" for building castles that do not touch corners. :P

Mqb938i.png

Do you crave a life of adventure? Check out our Adventures in the Duchy of Riverborne and apply here to join the action!

Hehe, I like building a castle as well - I don't like to connect walls with edges of the map too. :) The only thing I could do is connecting the wall with a cliff.

Whatever map we choose, it will be fun. :) Those two maps both look nice.

Sorry for double posting, but I do it now, as I want you to see my new post...

I guess we should deal what versions to use in this game..? As far as I have seen, versions 1.2 and 1.1 work fine together, but if some players have 1.1 or 1.2, and some have 1.3, that makes problems. I believe we should all have 1.3, or non HD versions?

Sorry for double posting, but I do it now, as I want you to see my new post...

I guess we should deal what versions to use in this game..? As far as I have seen, versions 1.2 and 1.1 work fine together, but if some players have 1.1 or 1.2, and some have 1.3, that makes problems. I believe we should all have 1.3, or non HD versions?

I have version 1.3, so I suggest that people who do not have that patch get it, but I have played games with people having earlier patches which worked fine. :)

Mqb938i.png

I'll have to check which version I have, I'll get back to you two on it.

Useful Articles

Here is the roster thus far:

1) Charles of Tours (me, host, SHN and SHK)

2) Lord Chris (SHN)

3) Eagle Prince (SHN and SHK)

4) Aleks (SHK)

5) Leto/Lucien (SHK)

6) Ak/Qin (trusted contact)

7) Astreath/Storm (SHK) (24th only)

8)

Only one empty slot left! If you have any interest, please post NOW before it's taken!

Edited by Charles of Tours

Mqb938i.png

Are we sure, by the way, that the game won't lag if too many of us joins the game? Although I do like this, when we have an opportunity to start a game with more reliable players, I'm afraid it might be possible to for game to lag. Nevertheless, if it would lag, I suppose we could try playing without no rush - I hope this way chances would be smaller for game to lag. At least after some of us die. :)

I've just tried installing the 1.3 version and it's completely crashed my game. I'm going to reinstall the game, and unfortunately I'll probably end up playing just on the 1.2 version until I purchase another copy and see if it's what the issue was. If that's a problem then I won't join today and will see if I can on the 24th.

Useful Articles

If problems appear, then it's likely to be me - I'm not sure firstly how compatible SHC is with windows 8, but the 1.2 version seemed to be fine. This may require a deeper look into it, but to be honest, it's probably better just purchasing another one (if I can get one not on steam) as it really somehow seems like it's my game.

All these complications... :)

Useful Articles

Lord Chris: It should be alright. If 1.3 is giving you tech problems, you can just do a reinstall and go back to version 1.2, and that should be fine. I believe I've played games with people using 1.2 before, and there were no problems.

Also, EaglePrince: 6 people may be a lot, but hopefully no lag occurs. My internet has been a bit shaky in the evening, but it is still relatively early here (and shall still be when we play), so there should be fewer people using the internet in the continent and slowing down my silly connection. I played with two Europeans yesterday in two matches against AI for some practice for today, and we experienced few connection interruptions.

Mqb938i.png

It should be alright. If 1.3 is giving you tech problems, you can just do a reinstall and go back to version 1.2, and that should be fine. I believe I've played games with people using 1.2 before, and there were no problems.

It seems to be fine again now on the 1.2, but I have a nagging suspicion that something will go wrong after that, I don't know why...

I have had a brief look in the SHC multiplayer lobby - how do we connect? I appear to need to know the host's IP.

Edited by Lord_Chris

Useful Articles

That's not needed, as we will be using Game Ranger. I will walk you through how it works if you want, for a future reference. :)

If we did use a direct IP connection that would only complicate it more, I think. I do know how to forward router ports, but I find Game Ranger far easier to use for (most of) the games it supports.

Mqb938i.png

When I reinstalled it I had to choose a different path instead of the default c:\program files(x86)\firefly studios\stronghold crusader as it was still crashing when I installed it to that directory, but hopefully it will still load.

But it would be useful to walk me through it as well :)

** Edit **

I take it that the game went well without me?

Useful Articles

It turned out that the version does matter... The game was without you as well, after what I decided to patch my game to HD, as that was the only possible solution left, and it worked. I hope you will be able to install this patch, although I believe it is more simple for others to have 1.1 and 1.2 versions, and you to buy another copy of the game, like you said.

Sounds like you all had a hard time getting it to work then, but I'm glad you managed it in the end :)

After all that, I finally got my video uploaded but it couldn't play it due to incompatibilities... I hate YouTube sometimes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZQs2Hc2kp4

Useful Articles

It says "The video you have requested is not available."... :(

Well, we did learn something out of all that struggling to make the game work nicely. It is necessary to have all HD or non HD versions. After the game I have reinstalled the game, and it's 1.2 again, and if I am supposed to play a multiplayer game with people who have 1.3, I will simply patch it again. That's because some of guys with which I play sometimes as well have 1.1 version.

So, Chris, if you want to play a multiplayer game, and you don't manage to patch it to 1.3, you can always play with me. :) We can start a game against AI lords and give them more money, and we can also play one against the other, but you can have some AI lords as allies. This could turn out to be pretty interesting, and I assume some other player would join us as well. :)

By the way, did you try to install the patch from different sources? Maybe that could do something? I mean, maybe you downloaded the patch from gamers hell, and some other patch could work correctly - it is the fact that there is not only one HD patch. I believe mine is 1.3.00003 or something like that...

Thanks for the kind offer :) Sometime today maybe?

I did get the patch from GamersHell, but it was certainly official, therefore no reason why it should have failed unless the game is already corrupt (makes sense considering that I couldn't update it)

Useful Articles

I won't be able to play today, but we might play some other day. I would contact you through this forum when I am able, I can't afford to myself to play too often. :(

ADDITION: I could play a game tomorrow in the evening. That would be at 21:00 (Belgrade), and in your time zone, it's 20:00 (London) I believe? I hope this could fit right for both of us? We could try playing a game against AI lords giving them 40,000 gold, or we could also try one of lord Vetka's Stronghold Crusader Extreme maps. We could try Ivrkard, or we could play Abertine. I would more gladly play Ivrkard, by the way. :) Also, if we play those, we would play without outposts (we wouldn't have them, AI lords on the other hand would), and we wouldn't use any powers.

I hope you like the idea? :)

Edited by EaglePrince

I do think that would be fairly late for a game here, I'd only be able to play for an hour/hour and a half at that time, but I'd be willing to try for an hour or so. :)

Useful Articles