Mathew Steel

PC Internet Problems

I am creating this topic on my iPhone (you will see why in the next paragraphs).

My laptop suddenly won't connect to any other page besides my router config and MSN homepage which is the default. This is happened all of a sudden as I made a topic on the site earlier.

The problem occurs on Chrome as well as IE. My laptop has been scanned for malware with 2 different softwares and is clear.

I pinged Google.com and got 100% loss packages. Every so often it will ping successfully but as soon as I attempt to visit the page it will happen again.

I can use wifi for other things such as skype or multiplayer games also.

Im not usually one to get stuck on such things but im all out of ideas.

I won't be able to make any changes until tomorrow. Right now the only thing I can think of is DNS. I use google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) perhaps there is a problem with those at the moment. Until tomorrow I won't know.

All help is appreciated :)

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

Hey, Mathew!

If I got it right, you have no internet access on your computer. In that case, if it is not about your internet provider, it could be that reinstalling network adapter driver could help, unless it's a hardware problem. Still, what confuses me is that you do have access to MSN homepage which does need internet connection, so I might be wrong about this one. :/ To check if it is because of your internet provider, you can try connecting to internet using another device, such as your phone - if you have wireless enabled in your router settings.

Now when I wrote it, I see you said you are able to play multiplayer games, and you are able to connect to Skype, so that should indicate I'm wrong... Anyway, I do have no actual idea what might be causing the problem.

A tracert will help to identify where the connection is dropping in the ping. With 100% loss, it sounds like a connection issue or issue in a node between your PC and the target site.

The following link shows you how to run the tracert command: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/162326/en-gb

When you get the result of that, it will tell you where the problem actually lies (most likely). An asterisk means that the connection failed to meet the node in the time allocated, and as a result the connection timed out. If the script stopped working at this point, this is where the problem is located.

The problem occurs on Chrome as well as IE. My laptop has been scanned for malware with 2 different softwares and is clear.

Just to clarify: If it's a connection issue, it will be the same in all browsers (as you're still using the same router to connect to the internet with).

Edited by Lord_Chris

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

Problem seems to have fixed itself. I decided to try again before changing my DNS settings and it worked. I'm assuming it was a problem with BT as my friend was also noticing problems yesterday. Thank you for the help all :)

The reason you were seeing msn is because it must have been preloaded in your browser. I would suggest if your internet fails call bt they have a 24/7 help line. when I was with bt I used to call it all the time. Even if I got 1% packet loss just for the sheer fact of when a bt admin accesses your router it gives it priority over other routers in your area for 24 hours.

Friendly and here to help! Feel free to ask me any questions about stronghold kingdoms.

priority over other routers in your area for 24 hours.

That's an interesting fact. I'll keep it in mind next time, thanks! :D