Sir DavidSpy

Windows 10 Technical Preview

Anyone else here try the Windows 10 technical preview yet? I've been running it on my laptop for the last few months now and am really liking it. MS brought back the start menu for the desktop which was one of the biggest grips users had about Windows 8. Microsoft is offering Windows 10 upgrade for free to users of Windows Vista and 7 once it's released, you can also get the technical preview now from Microsoft free of charge. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-download

That does indeed look awesome :)

I haven't tried it out yet, but a friend of mine has and he says that it's much better than Windows 8. The start menu on Windows 8 is a pain not having, but there are alternatives that can be downloaded, for example I use Classic Shell. I have a feeling it uses slightly more resources being an external program, but it's better than nothing.

Glad to see them bringing back the start menu, anyway. What would you say the best part of Windows 10 is? Do they still have a start screen?

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

I bought this laptop when Windows 8 was released and purposely ordered this with Windows 7. Windows 8 doesn't appeal to me in any way, I feel like Microsoft tried doing something because it looked "cool" even though it really isn't.

Windows 10 does look a lot better, but I doubt I'll be upgrading from Windows 7.

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

I haven't tried Windows 10, but I have been following articles about it, and it seems pretty good. Still, just like Mathew, I will not be upgrading my Windows 7 PC's - at least not until I buy a new PC...

Speaking about Windows 8, I wasn't able to play around with Windows 8 much, until this year, as this school where I work has PC's running Windows 8 in most of classrooms. It's not that bad, it is pretty nice, but it is much pleasant to have the menu. Also, although it is possible to install some additional program to be able to have the start menu, I could say that it is not possible in my case - in those classrooms, as most of them don't have a fast internet connection, and I don't have much time to handle with that. When they offer their own menu, people will surely use MS's product more gladly then some third party program.

Hmm, and now when we came to the fact that it is possible to have a menu at Windows 8... I wonder how didn't Microsoft release their own menu, as that would satisfy a lot of customers.

My favorite? Probably the removal of the Charms bar followed by bringing back the start menu, as surprising as that may seem. It effectively allows me to completely ignore the 'metro' side of Windows on a desktop which was my major gripe in Windows 8.

Well, for those of you who haven't already seen, Microsoft is offering a one year free upgrade to a full version of Windows ten, which is due to be released on the 29 July.

Take a feature tour of Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features.

Useful Articles

can you tell, does this "one year free upgrade" means that we have one year if we want to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, or we are able to upgrade and after one year we will have to buy the new one - like we're going to have a trail version? I'm asking this just in case, although I won't be upgrading that soon as I believe that my PC will not work so smooth (with its current hardware) on Windows 10. :)

does this "one year free upgrade" means that we have one year if we want to upgrade to Windows 10 for free

Yes. Systems currently running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 for free, the full version is included. After one year, you will have to pay. Note that if you reserve a copy, you can download it at any time convenient to you. I've reserved mine but I'm not going to install it until a few weeks after the release, to avoid things happening to my PC like what happened when Windows 8 first came out.

If you haven't already, you will receive the update KB3035583, or try looking for C:\Windows\System32\GWX\GWX.exe and start that process. This should appear in the task bar:

windows-10-promo-icon.png

Right click on it, then select "Get Windows 10".

windows-10-promo-right-click.png

See this link for more on the upgrade process: http://www.maximumpc.com/windows-7-and-8-users-report-seeing-windows-10-upgrade-prompts/

Edited by Lord_Chris

Useful Articles