Mathew Steel

AMD 7730m Graphics Glitch - Reign of Kings

I just bought Reign of Kings a new game, still in alpha and of course, I expected it to have some bugs. Sadly, I haven't managed to encounter any as I have a super annoying graphics glitch. I usually wouldn't come here for help for a game not related to stronghold, but since the steam community is about as useful as "Clippy" - the Microsoft word paperclip helper, I've come here.

Using the my Intel HD Graphics I get no problem. But the FPS drop is huge. As soon as I swap cards to the dedicated AMD card, a huge grey bar appears, covering 15% of the screen:

ROK_2015-04-09_21-56-17-89-129b42.bmp

I've checked for driver updates and nothing. I verified the integrity of the game cache. I also made sure it wasn't a bug happening with my graphics card, through testing it with 4 other games. Now if I've just bought a game that doesn't work with my card, without any type of warning about it. I will not be very happy with customer support.

Hopefully you guys can help me out,

Best regards,

Tom :)

Edited by Mathew Steel

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

You have a nice monitor. It took me a few minutes to load all the pixels in that image, even with Chrome. :P

You've probably tried it already, but have you:

1) Fiddled with the in-game resolution setting?

2) Run the game as administrator?

3) Changed the graphics settings?

It's very annoying but most indie game devs nowadays make games intended for their own computer's parts, not other peoples' ... some "professionals" do this too and it's really annoying. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about complaining to the devs or Valve until (if) the "Early Access" tag is taken off. I do hope someone else here can help if my suggestions didn't work. I think since it's a medieval game some others here may own it. I don't, but was considering getting it, despite my bad luck with "Early Access" games.

Also, does the grey bar actually block part of the game graphics / User Interface? Or is it simply empty and unused?

Mqb938i.png

Do you crave a life of adventure? Check out our Adventures in the Duchy of Riverborne and apply here to join the action!

I did try all of those things :( but thanks for the help Charles.

Also, does the grey bar actually block part of the game graphics / User Interface? Or is it simply empty and unused?

Yes, it blocks half of my character and the scenery.

You have a nice monitor. It took me a few minutes to load all the pixels in that image, even with Chrome :P

Just a laptop :D 1080p HD screen

Edited by Mathew Steel

I am guessing here but I could be down to you using a laptop card and having a 1080p screen. Have you tried changing the resolution of the game a little bit down?

Friendly and here to help! Feel free to ask me any questions about stronghold kingdoms.

If I got this right, this might be a game that is still in development? Is there some way of contacting the developers of the game? Perhaps it is something that needs to be fixed regarding the game itself, something that one of us couldn't do on his own?

I don't mean to sound like pushing you away with this, it's only that I cannot come up with any possible solution, and I am starting to think that this might be something that the developers should deal with. :( I hope I am wrong, and that there is an easy solution. :)

I did contact them with no help whatsoever :P

No problem, guess I'll have to wait for it. People down at Stronghold Heavens seemed a bit aggressive and rude when I asked them about it so I'm done with that.

I have just read the treat at Stronghold Heaven. Please, do forgive PCDania, although I am not sure if he was rude at all. :) In a way he felt the same way as I did - it is an alpha, so it's not even beta yet. It was expected to face some bugs, but unfortunately the bug you faced is the one because of which you cannot play at all. The only thing that I am wondering right now is - why do they sell a game which is still alpha... :rolleyes:

I realize this might not seem like the best advice, but as this most possibly doesn't have anything to do with your laptop or anything related to that, it could be the best to put the game away for a while, until they release a new patch which fixes this issue. I am certain you're not the only one. There were similar issues with Crusader 2 as well! Many were complaining about an issue with start screen - it wasn't displayed properly, so players were not able to play it until the new patch was released. They waited one day for the patch, or so, if I remember correctly...

Im aware it's in alpha and I did say that I may have been a bit ignorant. From my view that was ignored and I felt that I was spoken to in a rude and impatient manner. Maybe it's just me.

Maybe, but he has always been ready to help us, and even though he is no longer a moderator at Stronghold Heaven, he comes now and then to offer us a peace of advice when we are in trouble. :) This is why I think that, even if he was rude, the least thing he deserves is a second chance. :) And tenth chance as well! :D Nevertheless, his last message there was pretty short, so it is even possible that he may had been in a rush while writing the message, or something like that. ;)

I don't really know much about the hardware side of things, other than what the basic components are and what they do. But based off that image you showed, I'd say it's an issue with the game, not your PC.

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

Strange how nobody else has experienced the problem. Ive run loads of different games with this graphics card. Perhaps it's just something they need to optimise for AMD drivers.

Anyway thank you all for the help :)

Well, I assume that you did try to do all those standard stuff which are up to you, such as setting compatibility, and stuff like that. Perhaps reinstalling the graphic card driver could help, but somehow it seems to me like is more something because of the game itself.

I did try all of those yes. I'll just leave the game for a while and see if they fix it :)