EaglePrince

When looking for another GPU and CPU...

Hey, guys! I wanted to ask this one question, as I have this one older PC, and I tough how I could improve it a little. Not my newer one, but this older one.

Firstly, I would like to know do I need to look after something specific if I wanted to replace my GPU or CPU? When one wants to change RAM memory, he needs to pay attention if it is DDR2, or DDR3 for example. For this one I needed DDR2 for example. So, would any newer CPU or GPU work on this PC / its motherboard, or I need to pay attention to something?

The other thing I wanted to ask is this about processors having more cores... Generally speaking, what is better - having a single core 3GHz CPU, or having a dual core 1.5GHz CPU for example? And, similar question to quad core processors... Is there a way to know what are "equivalent" single core and dual core processors?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by EaglePrince

something specific if I wanted to replace my GPU or CPU?

The short answer yes. The main factor is the motherboard, although it's not the only factor. The CPU socket is one thing to consider, are they compatible? Also, PCI x1, PCI x16 and PCI x16 Express slots, most modern GPU's use an Express slot, whereas some older ones use a PCI x1 slot (unlikely your motherboard is that old :P). Another thing you need to consider would be power usage. For a CPU, the socket has to be compatible, also you may need to look into chipset support. Different GPU's and CPU's require a certain amount of power, and most PC's should have 200watts spare to what they should require, simply because measuring power usage isn't completely accurate.

Here are some links you may find useful! :)

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-components/3588810/how-know-if-graphics-card-is-compatible/

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/284127-28-want-compatible-computer

having a single core 3GHz CPU, or having a dual core 1.5GHz CPU for example? And, similar question to quad core processors... Is there a way to know what are "equivalent" single core and dual core processors?

I couldn't explain this to you any better than this link:

http://create.pro/blog/need-lots-cores-faster-cpu-clock-speed-cores-ghz-multi-threading-hyper-threading-explained/

Anymore questions, let me know :)

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

I would suggest getting some money and building a new computer. If you tell me your needs I can give you the price range that you would be looking at. I would make sure it meets all the criteria flawlessly with new and up to date parts so upgrading in the future should be easier. At the moment single core processors are out of date and most people don't use them anymore. If you want me to help you with any of the following send me a message :).

Friendly and here to help! Feel free to ask me any questions about stronghold kingdoms.

If you tell me your needs I can give you the price range that you would be looking at.

I too would be happy to give my input :)

Thanks you for your help guys! I have noticed that I would need some time to read everything Mathew showed me, and I shall do that tomorrow, as I still need to finish something first until tomorrow.

Regarding your offer TemplarMERZ, thank you for that. That is exactly what I would need when buying a new PC - advices like that. :) The only thing right now is that I don't want to throw away this PC yet - as long as it works, and as it is powerful enough for some basic needs. My idea right now is to keep it, and make it somewhat better, although I do realize this motherboard is outdated. Because of that this time I wouldn't go to pay much money for this upgrading - I could find some used parts too, and I know a guy who knows how to test those used parts. Later I could give this PC in a little bit better shape to my parents, and I would get myself a better PC having in mind just those things you mentioned - being able to upgrade it in some future. :)

I also plan to upgrade my newer PC. Maybe I could see if I could buy a new GPU for my newer PC for example, and to move it's old one to my older PC... Maybe I could do the same with CPU's as well.

I didn't notice Mathew's second message here. :)

But regarding my needs, I would like to upgrade my older PC enough so I could play Stronghold 3 or Crusader 2 like I do on my newer PC, and I would like to upgrade it enough so I could play those with less lag when mora stuff are going on the map. :) It wouldn't have to be a lot better though. I mean, I need it for busines, yeah, for busines. :D

I realise this post has been inactive for quite some time now but I thought it would be good to let you know. My friends have all bought their PC's from amazon through trusted companies and sellers such as ADMI. I too decided to follow this trend and recently spent ?500 on my new PC which I'll be getting for my birthday :D. Now this is still quite a lot for a PC but there are still a lot of computers there which are considered "low end gaming PC's" for a price range of ?200 (which according to google is 33560.72 Serbian dinar, I'm assuming that's the correct currency :P).

Even if you don't wish to spend that much money, there's nothing wrong with going under that budget and upgrading the parts from there, since the motherboard etc will be more modern. Most people tend to advise against this. Although those people can be ignorant, in the way that, they built their PC so they force you to do the same, whereas you may not want to.

Good luck :)

Well, since I didn't upgrade the GPU nor CPU yet the tread is not old. :p

About the currency - you assumed correctly. :) ...and indeed, 33500 Serbian dinars is not too much. Thanks for telling me about that, I will consider that too, and see what I can get this way, and compare it to a PC I can get here in some stores.

Thanks. :)

If there is one upgrade for older hardware that you'll see a tangible improvement in performance after upgrading, it's chucking out your old HDD and installing a new Solid State Drive. Seriously, don't bother with CPU or RAM upgrades on an older rig, if you don't have a SSD yet though, get one. You'll be pleasantly surprised, I guarantee it, especially with the recent drops in price per GB.?

Indeed Sir David. I'm currently using a laptop so I needed to purchase a TB SSD (since my laptop only supports one hard disk). As soon as I started it up I could use it, whereas before I'd have to wait 3-4 minutes for it to be fully functional. Not to mention loading times in games are drastically reduced (although it may not be relevant to your use for the PC :P)

Not to mention loading times in games are drastically reduced (although it may not be relevant to your use for the PC :p)

Damn, you do know what's the most important, man! :D

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep in mind that thing with hard disc, as I am almost sure that this one is not SSD - it's some 160 GB hard disc...

I am almost sure that this one is not SSD

I agree, you'd most likely realise you have an SSD just from your PC's performance but since it's old, it's unlikely anyway.

it's some 160 GB hard disc...

You can get low GB SSD's that wouldn't be the way to identify it :) although you said hard disk (Hard Disk Drive), which isn't a SSD (Solid State Drive).