Nigel

FireFly organizes a new Siege That Contest

I was pleasantly surprised today, when I saw that FireFly is picking up the idea of a Siege That contest and organizing their own version for it :)

Here is what Lady Magnanimus announced on their Crusader 2 website

Amidst the haze of the summer heat the time has come for YOU to challenge and defeat the Stronghold Crusader 2 team! Scheduled to begin on August 16th, our latest tournament gives you the chance to win exclusive tournament-only prizes. All you have to do is sign up, train diligently and hold your nerve on the battlefield. The quickest Lords to successfully siege three user-created castles, defended in separate rounds by the folks here at Firefly, will win a mix of tournament-exclusive physical and digital prizes!

Interested? Here?s what you could win by taking part:

Winner

?All Crusader 2 DLC

?Signed physical copy of the game

?One Firefly Studios game on Steam*

?Firefly Studios t-shirt (Medium or Large)

Runner-Up

?All Crusader 2 DLC

?Signed physical copy of the game

Third

?All Crusader 2 DLC

* Choose between Stronghold HD, Stronghold Crusader HD, Space Colony: Steam Edition, Stronghold Crusader 2: Special Edition and a Stronghold Kingdoms Starter Pack (Steam accounts only).

How to Enter

1.Submit a completed application form by 17:00 BST on August 11th.

2.Add us as a friend on Steam.

3.Keep an eye on your emails to see if you?ve been selected!

This new Crusader 2 Tournament will take place across three days:

?First Round (16/08/15) ? 20 contestants siege the first castle on Sunday August 16th. All players who successfully siege this castle move onto round two.

?Sound Round (23/08/15) ? A new map and castle must be sieged by round one winners in round two, which takes place on Sunday August 23rd.

?Final Round (30/08/15) ? Round two winners siege a new castle on a new map, in our third and final round on Sunday August 30th.

Please Note: Select games will be streamed live on the new Firefly Studios Twitch channel. You must be also available to play during the official tournament hours between 14:00 and 19:30 BST.

The new ?Siege That!? tournament will accept a total of 20 contestants, randomly selected from the pool of applicants and announced on August 12th. Contestant will receive an email containing the full tournament schedule, as well as the date and time of their first match, shortly after being selected. Winners will be announced following the end of the tournament on August 31st.

Good luck and happy sieging!

As the battles happen on the weekends, it is unfortunately not possible for me to take part myself.

But hopefully I will be able to drop in for a few minutes to look at what they are broadcasting on their Twitch Chanel.

And I sure hope it will be as succesful and fun as the contest we had here at Stronghold Nation. :-)

Edited by Nigel

FireFly have managed to get 20 contestants for their Siege That tournament - that is pretty impressive.

Here is the list of contestants. It is good to see some familiar names among them. :)

SKARABEI007, blobka, korsar, FireRanger, Mejdzr, Knyaz Michael, SergiuHellDragoon, Mr.Monk, nsvsochi, perryale90, CadettKlinge, DragonHeart, Hatty, bayoda, AniGrill, DSPL, Dark Souldier, eric, Beroky 2.0, Dekay

The battles are starting tomorrow (Sunday 16th) at 14:00 BST and are broadcasted on thier Twitch Chanel (see link above).

Edited by Nigel

Round 1 of the FireFly Siege That tournament was played yesterday.

FireFly defenders of the castle were Neal (QA) and Burak (Turkish Community Manager).

I was not able to watch it, but the recording of their stream is currently still up on their Twitch chanel - probably until the next round.

It is a full 4 hour video :o

On thier Twitter page, FireFly has announced the players that made it into round 2:

Fire Ranger, blobka, SKARABEI007, perryale90, CadettKlinge, DSPL and Dark Souldier

Good to see that Sir Blobka made it :)

Also, Fire Ranger and SKARABEI are very good players, who made a name for themselves in previous tournaments. Fire Ranger actually won the American Championship.

Best of luck to all of you. I hope many of you will get through to the final castle.

I heared that the 2nd castle will be defended by Marta and FireFly_Pascal.

Edited by Nigel

I watched the video footage - very interesting.

Burak found a very strong strategy and stuck with it throughout the tournament - no one managed to get past him.

I actually quite liked the way Neal played his games. He started weak, but he kept improving. At one point he tried out Burak's tactic and won, but then we went back to his own style and developed it further, rather than just copying Burak's winning stragey. That was very honourable of him.

While I watched through the video (4 hours), I noted down the starting times of the different battles. So you guys can just pick one that you are interested in and jump right to it. Note that only half the battles were streamed as Burak and Neal were playing in parallel.

0:00:00 - FireRanger vs Neal

0:27:00 - Korsar vs Burak

0:34:00 - Skarabei vs Neal

1:04:00 - Sergiu vs Burak

1:19:00 - Perryale vs Neal

1:39:00 - CadettKlinge vs Neal

1:58:00 - AnyGrill vs Burak

2:07:00 - Bayoda vs Burak

2:25:00 - Hatty vs Burak

2:40:00 - Dark Souldier vs Neal

2:55:00 - DSPL vs Neal

3:28:00 - eric vs Burak

3:46:00 - Beroky vs Neal

My favorite ones are the last two.

Eric did great against Burak and almost defeated him. He did loose in the end, but he really gave him a run for his money.

And Beroky and Neal were evenly fighting to the last and it ended in quite an unusual way.

If you are interested in watching the fights, you should do it soon. I imagine the videos will be replaced with new ones when round 2 starts this Sunday.

Edited by Nigel

The second round was played yesterday. It must have been a hell of a fight. Only 2 players made it through.

Blobka and DSPL are going into the Final Round !

I am glad that Sir Blobka is holding up so well, doing justice to his name and his title.

But I also whish good luck to DSPL. Those castles seem to be really tough and well defended.

As I did not see the battles directly, I am looking forward to watch the video recordings now. So far, I have seen FireRanger, the winner of the American Tournament. A very good battle and he got really close - bringing his lord past the last gate. But Marta defeated him in the end.

Did anyone see it live?

I just saw two matches and it seemed to be a hard map because of long ways to come to the base of the castle.

TeamMuppet.eu

Yes, this castle was really hard. And FireFly defended well and did not make any presents.

As that, they decided to let all payers who managed to set their foot onto the keep, also go into the last round and compete for the 3rd place.

I think that is a very good decision.

So FireRanger, Perryale and Skarabei are also going to fight on Sunday.

I saw the video of the battles on their Twitch channel now and can give you the "playlist" here.

They are well worth watching

0:00:00 Fire Ranger vs Marta

0:32:00 Dark Soldier vs Pascal

0:55:00 perryale90 vs Marta

1:56:00 CadetKlinge vs Marta

2:27:00 CadetKlinge (rematch) vs Pascal

4:18:00 Skarabei007 vs Marta

4:54:00 Blobka vs Pascal

5:25:00 DSPL vs Marta

Edited by Nigel

That last round was really tough - a great castle and well defended by the FireFly team.

Although the lords tried hard and fought very bravely none of them managed to take it. :o

But some of the players were able to get their troops into the keep and there were some really good fights.

FireFly are now going to judge the winner by who got furthest or did most damage to the defening lord.

We shall avait their verdict with tension ;)

Edit:

The maps of this contest, by the way, were Pyke Castle (round 1) by Cons7an7in and Double Hill Castle (round 2) and Steinschloss Castle (round 3), both made by Bayoda. All of them are excellent creations. Steinschloss is actually build after an existing castle in Austria.

Edited by Nigel

The judges have spoken and FireFly have named the winner of their Siege That contest today.

Here is the announcement:

'Siege That!' Victor Crowned

First off a massive thank you to the gallant warriors who fought bravely in our ?Siege That!? tournament besieging three mighty castles. We had a great time defending against the onslaught of catapults and archer fire, clashing swords with the multiplayer community that?s so important to the Crusader games. The peasants of Pyke Castle, DoubleHill and Steinschloss can now live in peace, with the last bloody battle fought in Sunday?s grand finale. Thanks also to Cons7an7ine and bayoda for creating the original versions of these fantastic maps, if you?d like to try them out for yourself just head over to Steam Workshop and search for one of the three map titles. Last but not least we musn?t forget our fan site Stronghold Nation, who inspired the team by running their own siege tournament earlier this year and gave us the idea for our own ?Siege That!?. Thanks to Nigel in particular for his suggestions and don?t forget to check out their site for competitions in the near future.

Having recovered from 31 intense desert sieges, we can now congratulate the winners of our first 'Siege That!' tournament:

? Third Place - perryale90

o All Crusader 2 DLC

o One Firefly Studios game on Steam

? Runner-Up - DSPL

o All Crusader 2 DLC

o Signed physical copy of Stronghold Crusader 2

? 'Siege That!' Champion - blobka

o All Crusader 2 DLC

o Signed physical copy of Stronghold Crusader 2

o Firefly Studios T-Shirt

The walls of Steinschloss castle are still drenched in the blood of soldiers who desperately tried to break through its fortifications. After managing to defeat us on DoubleHill, both blobka and DSPL contended for first place in a pair of fierce final round sieges. While they broke through our outer defences with ease, DSPL's troops were slain moments before they reached the keep. Shortly after, blobka's knights crossed swords with another defending Firefly lord. The skilled Crusader 2 player demonstrated his superior tactical knowledge of the game, earning him the title of 'Siege That!' Champion.

Third place was fought over between SKARABEI007, FireRanger and perryale90, with perryale90 the only combatant savvy enough to get his troops to the keep and draw out the opposing lord, for a close-quarters Lord-on-Lord fight.

We do hope everyone enjoyed the 'Siege That!' Tournament, live streams and giveaways on our Twitch channel! Everyone at Firefly is looking forward to further competitions and tournaments in 2015, so subscribe to our Twitch channel and never miss a single match or chance to win free codes: http://www.twitch.tv/firefly_studios

Congratulations Sir Blobka

You are adding FireFly's title to the one from Stronghold Nation you already have. I was very happy to hear that. :)

Edited by Nigel

In case you missed it: today FirelFly updated their announcement with a new picture showing the winner's names and also added a really nice reference to StrongholdNation in the introduction text. :D

Last but not least we musn?t forget our fan site Stronghold Nation, who inspired the team by running their own siege tournament earlier this year and gave us the idea for our own ?Siege That!?. Thanks to Nigel in particular for his suggestions and don?t forget to check out their site for competitions in the near future.

Source: http://www.strongholdcrusader2.com/?p=1992

That really was a nice reference. Completely unexpected too!

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles