EaglePrince

Stronghold 2 Manager is here! Possible to play MP game with bots

I have good news! :) One of the original fans of the mod sent the installation file. :) This is where you can download it from, but be aware, it is likely that your antivirus will detect it as a troyan. I believe that this is nothing harmful, and I will try it later. Right now I don't have the other PC of mine here, but I will have it tomorrow, so I will try it then.

Another issue is that they said it works with 1.3.1 version, so I am unsure whether this is going to with 1.4.1 version, but we shall see that. Even if it doesn't we are so much steps ahead than we used to be, and yes - many of us are able to reinstall the game and install the 1.3.1 version to have fun in multiplayer.

Also, another thing I would love if we could manage to solve is to get rid of the exe file if possible but that would exceed my knowledge. If there is anyone who knows how to extract the exe file maybe it would be possible to make a mod which wouldn't be feared to infect a PC, and we would be able to learn some more stuff about the mod.

Regards!

Mod edit: removed link to software

Edited by Lord_Chris

Also, another thing I would love if we could manage to solve is to get rid of the exe file if possible but that would exceed my knowledge. If there is anyone who knows how to extract the exe file maybe it would be possible to make a mod which wouldn't be feared to infect a PC, and we would be able to learn some more stuff about the mod.

Most .exe files install or "extract" files to a chosen location. One way of eliminating the need of the .exe would be to extract the files from it by installing to an empty folder. Then (in theory) the folder that contains the mod's files can be compressed (made into a .zip file) and sent that way. However, it's a very bad idea to distribute someone else's mod without their permission.

Mqb938i.png

Do you crave a life of adventure? Check out our Adventures in the Duchy of Riverborne and apply here to join the action!

... And, it depends on how the mod is configured. Adding to what Charles said, some exe files do things based on your system architecture (i.e x64 or x86). I'm downloading it now and seeing what it does, perhaps you might want to upload it to the download section - if you get permission as Charles says.

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

I agree with both of you regarding the permission. However I fear that we may be unable to contact him, as he hasn't been at SHH for a while, and it seems he hasn't been speaking to anyone from the community in a while... On the other hand he did submit the mod to SHH on his own before, only it was removed, so I think that he wouldn't be against sharing the mod with others. I think that the only thing standing in our way would be the exe file being reported as a troyan. If you would be willing to approve the file, I would submit it, and I would say that this is the mod made by Rdkill, and I would also give the link to the original tread at Stronghold Heaven where he introduced others to this mod.

I've ran the program myself and MalwareBytes also gave a false positive to me. However: I've only ran the program, I haven't tested it yet. I'll test it at some point, and if I deem that it doesn't have anything inside it (which I really don't think it will have, otherwise it will have been executed as soon as I ran it probably) then I'm happy for it to be uploaded.

It does have an unknown publisher which means windows smart screen attempts to block it, but it seems to be fine so far.

Anyway, you can upload it now if you'd like, and it can sit in the queue for a bit until I get the chance to review it, there's no harm in it sitting there a few days.

Useful Articles

Sure, I will gladly submit it. I may not write the full description right now, but I would do that later when the file is approved. :)

Also, my other PC is back here, so I will attempt to play with myself and bots in multiplayer.

I have tried Stronghold 2 manager today hoping that it may work with 1.4.1 version although Rdkill did mention in the read me file that it works with 1.3.1. Who knows maybe it is possible, but I didn't make it. Regarding Stronghold 2 Manager - now after trying it I wouldn't say it is a mod, it is more like a tool. You start the game, go to kingmaker, minimize the game, jump into the manager which you opened before the game and turn Ai lords on. Then you go to multiplayer, set your game, and have fun. It is all possible with GR as well though.

So, the exe file doesn't extract anything, it does something, although I don't know what, and I don't know how to find that out. Still this is great for anyone wanting to play MP against Ai lords, only those will have to have 1.3.1 version installed. Maybe we manage to figure out how to do the same thing with 1.4.1 version, who knows...

This explains why it's detected as a virus; from what I can tell myself, and you've explained there, it's injecting something into the game - this explains why all anti viruses start screaming and attempt to quarantine it.

And since we can only play online in 1.4.1, this pretty much makes this redundant, unfortunately. I contacted the creator of this tool yesterday asking him for information on how it was done, and whether or not it can be upgraded or not.

I'd be more than happy to attempt to upgrade it to be compatible with 1.4.1 myself, but I would need the source code first - and know how it was done in the first place. And I'm guessing that the email I sent to will probably be abandoned by now, after all, he was last active in 2007.

Useful Articles

There is a chance that it is his personal email, and in that case he could receive it and read it. I hope that is the case.

I hope this will be possible to be done. I was thinking about contacting even firefly regarding this, we don't care if Ai lords would attack one player only or stuff like that, it would be interesting to play.

And yes, I guess it would be better if the mod required replacing file and not a tool but still, maybe that wouldn't be possible either.

Also, now I have another thing I want to do and that would be a multiplayer scenario in which the two player would have to deal with bandits and stuff like that. Still, that wouldn't be a scenario but a kingmaker map with a recommendation how to play it. :) We'll see about that yet... I also want to make an article here for stronghold 2... We don't have a list of buildings available in each rank, right? That could be handy for mp games, so I wanted to type that stuff. I do have it on paper now... Also, sorry for going off topic. :)

Edited by EaglePrince

Since this does not seem to work with 1.4.1, and even the virus scanner in the control panel is detecting this as a virus, I'm going to remove this download. I think it's the best decision, who knows - we may even be able to make a better one ourselves at some point if we can find out what it's doing.

I also want to make an article here for stronghold 2... We don't have a list of buildings available in each rank, right?

Beat you to it ;)

http://www.stronghold-nation.com/article/78-game-ranks#freeman

But we do really appreciate articles still! If you're willing to make one, we're willing to add it. :)

Useful Articles

I do understand your reasons, but still, I would like to ask you to reconsider this decision. :) I mean, yes, it is being reported as a virus and it works only with 1.3.1 version, but on the other hand this place is kind of a sanctuary for us Stronghold fans. For that reason I think it would be great if it was in the download section or at least somewhere on the server and not visible to visitors. I do have it on both my PC's now, I plan to burn it on a disc too just to make sure it won't be lost, but for such a thing I don't think it is good enough. :) I think it would be better if it was kept somewhere on this website, and that way it would be right on the place where anyone could look for it. Do you agree about that maybe? I don't want to push you about that matter, I realize what is your concern, and I know that it is not an easy decision. Regarding the fact that it works only with 1.3.1 I could tell that there are players who prefer to have 1.3.1 installed, and some would also be willing to install 1.3.1 version just to be able to play multiplayer game. I just gave my reasons, but I respect your decision and I will not be pushing about that.

I see, I'm happy to have that here. :) I will print that for the next time we play multiplayer. :)

When it comes to articles, I have little time these days. Although I have passed the two of my exams this summer now I prepare myself for another one - to try to pass it during this school year, and before I get more obligations (which regard teaching) at the university. But when I find a next interesting thing I could make I would make an article about, I would do that. :)

You can still get it from the link above in the first post. But we've built up quote a good reputation by serving good downloads and being reliable, I don't want people thinking we server Trojans from us, and we might even get blacklisted by Google through it if the Google Bot downloads it.

But lets take this as it is: It only works on version 1.3.1, which has long been instable now. The mountain of bugs which have bee fixed in 1.4, and 1.4.1 means that even if it was possible to play online through 1.3.1, there would be many bugs (including the one where you couldn't mount a horse while the knight is moving) that would still be there.

And there is also the case of it being reported as a virus. Since it doesn't even work in the first place on 1.4 and above, I don't want to scare new members away from here by them thinking we give them Trojans. If it worked, then I may reconsider the decision.

Sorry, but I feel this is in the best interest of the site to reject this.

Useful Articles

Is it possible for Google Bot to download it even though it is only on the server and not visible otherwise? Nevertheless even if we taught it wouldn't find it there we wouldn't be 100% sure, so yes, you are correct, the reputation is more important. The only problem with the link above is that if the uploader of the file deletes it, it won't be there anymore. That can happen even on accident - if he has dropbox installed and if he deletes the file on his machine, the file would be removed from the server as well... For that reason I will make another dropbox account, and login into an old one of mine and reupload the file, and give the link above. Maybe we could make the tread sticky after that?

I didn't know about the bugs in 1.3.1. Back then when I was a kid I was playing 1.0 and then I switched to 1.4.1 directly. I didn't have internet so I was stuck with that for a while until I found the patch and I knew only about bugs from 1.0.

I thank you for all your help, having this tread here, sticky or not, is a great thing for anyone who would like to try the mod, although it may become frustrating if the bugs in 1.3.1 version are annoying.

Yes, the Google bot can find and index any content, it even indexes content which you sometimes don't want it to. But the Bing bot is worse for that. Not really a surprise.

Edited by Lord_Chris

Useful Articles

On the other hand, when it comes to the visitors, it may be better for them when things are this way. Website owners know they must take great care, but visitors have less chances to get their PC's infected, although we may not like that at this moment for our own reasons :) , as what we have is a false positive.

Ok I have spent the better part of the week looking for this file, and to be honest this is the most recent forum about it and was wondering if anyone here might still have the manager files and could email reupload or something please and thank you in advance

Welcome to Stronghold Nation, my lord!

You can use this link to download Stronghold 2 Manager:

THIS LINK

Keep in mind that it will be most likely reported as a virus by your antivirus, but it is not the case. I'm sure you've read that already though...

Mod edit: Removed link to software

Edited by Lord_Chris

if you have it on your pc you can share via dropbox application by sharing and adding my account to collaborate on that specific folder

Guys, look at this video!

It is the AI Manager for 1.4.1 version of the game, it's there, and it works, I have just tried it! :) Note that the flickering that occurred in his video while he was playing the game doesn't happen actually, it's only about his recording program.

Still, I should again say - the file is being reported as a virus. I myself believe it is a false positive, but you don't have to risk actually. For example, if you play with me, I would host and only the host needs to work with this tool to add AI lords.