Mathew Steel

ATA to SATA Converters

I plan on installing my laptop SSD into my new PC. I have a free drive bay and the SSD fits fine into the PC (as I bought a bracket to make sure). However the PC itself uses 4 pin ATA connectors not SATA III connectors. Luckily I have found something online to solve this but I have a question.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA10POW-10-Inch-Serial-Power/dp/B004NO0KIQ

If you look at the photo you will notice this also comes with an attached power cord. I'm curious to know if this is needed? Whenever I've changed my laptop drive it was as simple as connecting the drive to the connector and starting it up. However I'm under the impression that I need to connect this power lead to the PC's motherboard? Is this correct? :)

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

One of my friends who knows more about hardware than me says that you won't notice a difference; the ATA bus doesn't support speeds high enough to notice a difference between the SSD and hard drive.

Besides that though, what are you running? Is this an old machine?

Edited by Lord_Chris

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

ATA bus doesn't support speeds high enough to notice a difference between the SSD and hard drive.

Regardless I have a spare 1TB SSD doing nothing, so if I can hook it up with this new PC for ?5 I'm more than happy to do so.

Besides that though, what are you running? Is this an old machine?

It's actually new, I was surprised when I found out the motherboard supports ATA not SATA.

AMD FX-6350 6-Core processor (3.9GHz)

GTX 960

8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM

1TB Seagate HDD

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

And so, any idea on the power cord? Is it needed to power the drive or is the drive powered via the connector (it may seem like a dull question, but this is the first time I've upgraded a PC and not a laptop). Thank you!

It would also seem that the converter does support speeds up to 6Gbps (which is the speed of a SATA III SSD).

And after speaking to a friend who has the same PC as me, he said that the power cable isn't needed for our motherboard. I appreciate the help though Chris :)

Edited by Mathew Steel