Lord_Chris

Week #1 - Stronghold 2

Welcome to 52 weeks of Stronghold! Over the next 52 weeks, you will face a large variety of challenges of different levels to make yourself a better gamer - starting with .... Stronghold 2!

Your challenge for this week: Create a basic invasion map in Stronghold 2

The map can be as detailed or vague looking as you want, design a large map or a small, make it as functional as you want - the details are up to you! The admin team have compiled a list of useful resources for each week which will guide those of you who are not as certain of what to do.

Useful resources:

Note: Your entry must be attached to this topic by Midnight on Saturday to be counted in this challenge (9/1/16 23:59). If no entry is attached (via .zip. then your entry will not be counted! The results will be revealed on Sunday.

Feel free to ask any questions - good luck!

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

I would like to know wether a simple Invasion can have economic goals?

Yes! You can do anything, as long as it meets the criteria for this week. :)

I would like to know how i can attach a zip file to this topic?

You can attach files by going to the full reply mode (click "post reply" on the bottom right or top right of the topic)

Useful Articles

Tokamaps, you will be getting some competition in this first challange ;)

I have a nice scenario in my head.

Only now I have to manage to turn it into a somewhat presentable map by Saturday evening.

Great to hear everybody! We're looking forward to seeing what entries you can produce! :)

Useful Articles

Thank you @Fail Session! A reminder to the rest of you - the contest closes at midnight today! Good luck!

Useful Articles

Hi Fail Session?I have seen, that your file is .shmap

And i know that this file type is going to block the game!

This is just a hint from me, because i had already one map with that ending and it was terminated.

Tokamaps?

Here is the warning i get after i put the File in the folder of the Stronghold 2 Maps (the changed ending has nothing to mean, because i has given this errir with the ending .shmap too.

http://www.file-upload.net/download-11193357/Unbenannt.PNG.html

Edited by Tokamaps

Congratulations, Lord Fail - you have the honour of making the first contribution to the 52 Weeks of Stronghold contest.

Here comes my entry.

I am placing the mission briefing here:

After Duke William of Normandy crossed the Chanell in 1066 and defeated the last anglo-saxon king at the battle of Hastings, he earned himself the name William the Conqurer placed himself on the throne of England.

50 years later, his son Henry I had established norman rule and most saxon lords have come to terms with their new ruler. But some were still in opposition and one of them, the Duke of Staffordshire, has build a small wooden fort near the border village of Spittle Early. He is keeping the tax money and the goods from the village all for himself.

The king has given you a squad of pikemen and archers to bring the situation under control. You do not have enough men for a head-on assault, but with cunning you may be able to enter the fort and overthrow the garrision.

Also, the sergeant in charge of the fort is a cruel man and the villagers hate him. If you act with honour, you may be able to win the village over to your side and gain their support.

But loose no time. The Duke of Staffordshire is sending reinforcements to strengthen the force of his garrision. It would be good if you have taken control of the fort, before they arrive.

A technical note: this is a map "without keeps", meaning that the keeps at the edge of the map are not part of the game. I just could not make the map work without placing the keeps. They should just be left alone, the map works with win and loose condition even if you don't enter the keeps.

Week 1 od 52_Nigel_Saxon Fort.zip

Edited by Nigel

Hi Fail Session?I have seen, that your file is .shmap

And i know that this file type is going to block the game!

This is just a hint from me, because i had already one map with that ending and it was terminated.

Tokamaps?

Good day Tokamaps,

Thank you for your forewarning of this issue you are experiencing. I load every map I have ever downloaded or created with the .shmap ending without any issues. At this time I just downloaded my own .zip document that I uploaded here and unzipped the file and loaded the program without issue onto Crusader 2.

Please be sure to check your storage location. If you store the document in the incorrect area it will not load properly (the issue may occur if you don't unzip it as well).

If you continue to have issues please find it in my Workshop on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=596474860

Let me know if you figure it out or if it continues to give you issues.

Best,

Lord Fail

"A wolf does not concern himself with opinions of sheep"

Here is my entry for this week:

The war for Indepent!

The story and stuff like modifications.

But enough for chitter chatter, the zip is in the attachment :)

Story:

The Castle which is on the quite small Island Umanda Imunda which belongs since generations to the Family of the Maligalds has been realy often the the target of mighty warlords.

Now its one of this times again and the Maligalds need to be strong. For luck the oldest son of the newly died Lord Maligald, Sir Iligant (the name is from his wife: Lady Iligant)

who is a great strategist and a Charismatic man who now had been taken the command over the castle garrison...

Sir Iligant:

"Order me a couple fanatist, the help from Lord Tarikas fleet is our only help in this fight, they need to build up the Signals!"

Capt'n Briggs:

"My Liege, now we know who the Mysterious Invaders are."

Sir Iligant:

"Go on!"

Capt'n Briggs:

"One of the two is clearly a General of the Emperor and the other one is Lord Balduins older Brother."

Sir Iligant in mind while walking to the Keep:

"I was thinking Lord Balduin would be on our side!?"

Lady Iligant (the Beautiful):

"What is troubleling you?"

Sir Iligant:

"Our Friends seeme to be our Enemies. Everithing is so strange."

Lady Iligant (the Beautiful):

"Come to the Bedchamber, maybe something else can make you a bt more happy."

The two were going to the Bedchamber and closed the door after them while the six Fanatists Order Knights were talking together...

Knight 1:

"I think some Counter-Attacks should be a great Idea!"

Knight 2:

"It is very dangerous."

Knight 3:

"But it's our Job 'Sir I do nothing good'!"

Knight 4:

"We schould do it, because if we die a better life is waiting for us!"

Knight 2:

"Iv'e just told you that it is dangerous!"

Knight 1:

"We should do a Voting!"

Knight 5 and 6 Approaching:

?

Knight 5 (The Divisions Priest):

"What is on here?"

Knight 4:

"Sir Rubblewood is against Counter attacks, i think he isnt real beliving the holy-endless-Life !"

Knight 6 (Coomander of the Knight division):

"We Vote wether we do Counter Attacks"

While the Voting a Scout is Talking to Capt'n Briggs:

Scout:

"It seems like the Emperors General and Lord Balduins Brother don't like each other too much.Maybe we Can use this aggainst them?"

Capt'n Briggs:

"I hope, because we are going to need it!

So this it is ;)!

The war for Independent.zip

I have found that my edition is only accepting .shmap files and when I extract .s2m files the Crusader program does not register that I have the maps extracted.

Suggestions?

Sorry, i was thinking the challange would be abbout stronghold 2!?

Or is crusader 2 countet as stronghold 2 too?

I may have made something for the wrong game... aha... :3

LOL, well, Fail Session, I guess it happens. :D

Perhaps Lord Chris will be generous and still accept the Crusader 2 map as an exception (perhaps you loose a few points for missing one of the targets). I myself wound not mind. I would be nice to have 3 entries in this first contest.

Perhaps Lord Chris will be generous and still accept the Crusader 2 map as an exception

Unfortunately, it was done for the wrong game and is not valid :(

However - it would be nice to play three for the first challenge - I will still play it if you'd like, and if you upload it to our downloads I'll give it a full review :)

Thank you and [user]tokamaps] for your entries! They will be played and you will find out the winner very soon! The next challenge will be posted tomorrow morning. :)

Useful Articles

The points are as follows:

As with every week - you'll get feedback on how you scored as you did, so I'll give that now.

Feedback

@Nigel - your map was a very nice little scenario. Although it isn't very long, it was a nice quick scenario to play for a bit of fun. I liked the idea of having to break into an estate to take it over, to invade again. The troop choice was very good, and you were very tied with numbers. The landscaping was very nice, and you put a lot of effort into smaller details such as shrubs and bears (which was noticed!). The description has a good level of detail too. To get three points though, the scenario requires a very good level of depth, and precision, and this was where it didn't score as well :(

Not that I'm trying to be critical about it, just informative.

@Tokamaps - Not only have you done a small invasion but you have incorporated it into a fully-fledged war scenario! This is very impressive indeed. You show a great understanding of how castles work, and this is demonstrated very greatly throughout the map by the defensive and strategic positions provided. The extra events that come with the map are very impressive too. The landscaping, scripted events and all the invasion was above the standard we asked. The invasions on this map are what I call "professional" invasions - invasion forces that come with siege equipment, and in a large number. This takes a lot to beat.

Therefore, I am delighted to announce that the very first winner of 25 Weeks of Stronghold is ! You have been added to the prize draw, congratulations! A big thank you is in order to both of our competitors and we hope to see you joining in again this week! We're sorry to see [user]fail session] accidently make the map for the wrong game - we hope we can see you again soon too!

Useful Articles

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. And no worries about beeing critical. I can take a reasonably amount of criticism before I start to cry.

And I know that I am not a great landscape artist. So "nice" is a really good compliment for me. I am glad you noticed the bear - or did he notice you first :D

I really enjoyed making this map and yes, it was intended to be short and of easy difficulty level. Like the first map in a campaign - perhaps going through English history from William the Conqurer to Richard Lionheart (if I can only find the time).

Tokamaps, your map is really impressive. You really deserved to win this one.

Fail, I also liked the look of your map (have yet to try it out). Pitty it was the wrong game, but perhaps you can re-submit it for another week. :)

Edited by Nigel