Andreas9541

Request: Let's make our own Skirmish Trail

Lately for some reason I've had this urge to try a new challenge on SHC2 by playing custom skirmishes and setting up things in a way that it would look like a skirmish trail.

Well, now I want to make my own skirmish trail with 7 maps but the problem is I don't have all the time to do that which is why I make this request to all map creators of the forum. I want to make this thread a discussion about what would go in the skirmishes (enemy lords, starting goods etc).

What we need to make this happen:

6 people who are passionate about a good challenge.

Creativity.

Communication.

My suggestion for the last map would be for one member to create the file with all the discussed features and then share it with the the team for modifications.

This will only happen if a total of 6 people check in this thread and confirm that they are up for this challenge with me being one of them.

This is a great idea! Unfortunately my map making skills in the new Crusader 2 editor are not brilliant, and I don't have a lot of time on my hands to do this kind of thing (still have an unfinished map from when the game first came out) but I wish the project all the best and we will support it in whatever way we can.

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

This is probably the busiest time of the year for most of us. I personally have a lot of projects that have to be finished but from time to time I get really creative and create my own maps which is why I'm not putting any deadline on this. For those who are interested you may as well use your own maps and modify them a bit to fit a skirmish trail conditions.?

Tomorrow I will be writing some ideas down in order to help people get a bit more creative with their maps.

Nice idea, Andreas.

Count me in. I may not be the worlds biggest map maker but I should be able to contribute something - a small map, ideas and discussion, playtesting etc. I look forward to it.

Alright, here are my ideas so far:

Skirmish 1:?

• Medium sized map
  • 2-3 Weak to medium enemies e.g 1 Rat, 1 Shah and 1 Richard
  • Resources: Significant to plenty of relatively accessible resources
  • Terrain/Environment: This one is subjective but I was thinking more of a flat terrain with nice beaches and white sand and no particular height advantage
  • Starting resources: Gold: 1500, Stone: 250, Iron: 10, Hops, Wheat, Candles, Pitch: 10
  • Peace Time: 5 minutes
  • Food: 200 units - 100 Apples, 50 Meat and 50 cheese
Like I said before, you can use your own previous maps and modify them to fit the standards of a skirmish trail. You don't have to make something completely new.

Sounds good, Andreas.

I could probably make a map like this. But, yes, if we want to have 7 maps, we may need more mapmakers.

By the way: some time ago we figured out how we can unlock the FireFly maps that come with the game.

http://forums.stronghold-nation.com/topic/679-locking-and-unlocking-crusader-2-maps/

We could also use those and modify them for the purpose of the trial. What do you think?

It would certainly make life easier for people like me, who are not so skilled at landscape design.

By the way: some time ago ?we figured out how we can unlock the FireFly maps that come with the game.

http://forums.stronghold-nation.com/topic/679-locking-and-unlocking-crusader-2-maps/

We could also use those and modify them for the purpose of the trial. What do you think?

It would certainly make life easier for people like me, who are not so skilled at landscape design.

If it works for other then yes. If your problem is having trouble getting ideas I suggest that you use google image search and search for terms like:

Landscape, Mythical places, Galaxy landscape (that's how I got my idea for my last skirmish map), Mountain/river/lake etc, Old historical sites like temple, jungle tribes, ancient ruins and civilisations.

You can also learn a lot from players who upload their maps on steam. I always look what other people are doing and then try to think 'how can I make this even more beautiful/challenging?'

I have a few ideas for skirmish two which I will personally attempt to make and I will post them tomorrow so I can get any useful opinions.

If your problem is having trouble getting ideas ....

It is not so much that (I seem to get ideas quickly), but rather the time it takes me to make a map. I seem to take forever with finetuning the details of a map and the landscaping is a big portion of it. If that can be taken away by using an already existing landscape, the task is far less daunting to me.

I still have an "almost ready" version for a second map of the Escania series sitting on my PC. :P

Dang! I completely forgot about skirmish two. I'm actually making a map for it right now I probably won't have it ready soon. It basically contains all the lords who have animal's names. The pig, Wolf, Jackal...

It's much more difficult than skirmish mission one but I'm still trying to figure out the conditions.

For some reason over the past 3 days I was feeling an incredible urge to finish skirmish 7 before I even started the previous ones. I'm in deep dilemma. On one hand it's going to be my most epic map and I really want to share it but on the other hand it's the last skirmish which is supposed to be more like a surprise. :P

Hehe, I can feel your pain :)

Perhaps you can post some teaser screenshots - just to show a few beautiful aspects without giving away the main surprise?

Dunno if that would be possible for the map you have in mind, but it is just a thought

Hehe, I can feel your pain :)

Perhaps you can post some teaser screenshots - just to show a few beautiful aspects without giving away the main surprise?

Dunno if that would be possible for the map you have in mind, but it is just a thought

I will most probably send it to you and Chris for testing. Hopefully I can get Micha to give it a good run as well. Right now it's starting to take shape but it's still an infant map. The only thing I'm worried about is just the game crashing because its an extra large map.

I know the feeling only too well .... ;)

When I started a campaign in Stronghold 2 which was eventually going to replace the original one (may do so still some day) I focussed on mission 1, then went straight to the last one and made a Siege of Barclay's castle. I made the whole map really dark and evil terrain, with lava terrain .etc. It's a three-pronged attack, from Sir William, The King and the player.

It's actually pretty tough to complete, it requires you to do very well in a really short amount of time, constantly moving - you're under attack from the second the game starts and each "section" of the castle has a unique challenge to pass. Your allies' survival also depends on how well you do, which in turn depends on whether you will win or not. I really need to dig that out again at some point.

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles