#1 9th Jul 2017 22:12:29

Nigel
Duke

The next event ... a field battle?

Charles of Tours said:
Lord_Chris said:

I think a Gaming Event would be a great idea! I'd love a game of Stronghold 2 again at some point - perhaps we could even specially create a map for it?

EaglePrince said:

I'm fine with Stronghold 2, that sounds good! Only I wouldn't have the time to make a map, but if somebody can do it, I'm for it.

Hm, today is a national holiday so I won't be getting much done in the way of errands ... I'll see if I can whip up something cool!

Hi guys,
I thought I just move this here into the Gaming Events section.
Also, I realize that Charles of Tours is perhaps already working on a map. Well, I don't want to steal his thunder, but there is no reason not to have it both. smile

We have had the idea of a field battle, some while ago and I thought I would bring it up agian.
If we can get 4 people together, I could set up a map for a 2v2 in a fixed-forces scenario.

What do you guys think?

EDIT:
Confrimed for tomorrow at 19:00 CET

EaglePrince
Charles of Tours
Lord Chris
Nigel
Mathew Steel

Last edited by Nigel (17th Jul 2017 20:41:19)

#2 9th Jul 2017 22:24:32

EaglePrince
Knez

Website

Re: The next event ... a field battle?

I'm for it! smile Plus, if we're going to have a field battle, we can do these both at once maybe. I mean, a field battle could be ended fairly quickly, don't you think? I mean, compared to a "normal" multiplayer game. Or, we could fight few rounds.

Anyway, I'm for having at least two gaming events. At least one for Stronghold 2, and at least one for Crusader 1. I think these two are the most popular over here. But we could do even more - to try to play Stronghold 1 as well, or maybe Crusader 2 too. Stronghold 3 is interesting for me as well, but let's the low priority... I don't know how would my GPU handle it with more players, but we could do it by limiting army sizes (and or castle population) to something like 50 or 100 (depending of how much of us play it). Sure, we have Stronghold Legends as well. As you know, I'm not so good in Stronghold Legends, but I do have the Steam version of Stronghold Legends, so I would be for it as well.

I hope we could make few gaming events this for the following week, or at least one! In fact, I wanted to write a post such as this one you made, but then I was writing some other replies, and later I forgot, and thought "oh well, I'll do it later". And then you wrote it before me, and now we're talking about it. smile

#3 10th Jul 2017 11:05:46

Lord_Chris
Lord Commander

Website

I'm definitely up for this - it sounds like a great idea. smile

Charles of Tours is also making a map. It's nearly done.

#4 10th Jul 2017 11:53:15

Mathew Steel
Earl Constable

I wouldn't mind joining in at somepoint! Although, school work is currently picking up again as I near the end of the year. I'll be finished with by the end of next week! smile 

Whenever you feel you can't go on, just remember, "Hamilton wrote the other 51!"

#5 10th Jul 2017 13:16:17

EaglePrince
Knez

Website

Any day after Wednesday would suit me great. smile

#6 10th Jul 2017 15:49:52

Charles of Tours
Knight Banneret

My map can work for 1v1, 2v2, or 4v4. The terrain is very balanced, and there's enough open space for a field battle if that is what you guys would like! smile

It also could work for traditional castle building and siege games. The only thing I have to do now is make it look "prettier" without upsetting the balance. But I think it does look better than some of the "tournament" style maps that are balanced down to the last tile. This map isn't quite like that, but it is split into two halves by a river, and each half is identical to the other.

It is totally playable as it is, and since SH2 is so easy to make field battles with, I might just make a version with preset armies. Let me know when you would like to try it out!

Mqb938i.png
Do you crave a life of adventure? Check out our Adventures in the Duchy of Riverborne and apply here to join the action!

#7 10th Jul 2017 16:13:06

EaglePrince
Knez

Website

It might be interesting to see few screenshots, just to satisfy out curiosity. smile

#8 10th Jul 2017 17:37:20

Charles of Tours
Knight Banneret

Thanks for reminding me to do that! Here they are: http://imgur.com/a/wktJf

Mqb938i.png
Do you crave a life of adventure? Check out our Adventures in the Duchy of Riverborne and apply here to join the action!

#9 10th Jul 2017 17:43:33

Mathew Steel
Earl Constable

Been a while since I've played balanced maps! Should be fun. If you'd like, I'd happily re-texture it smile

Whenever you feel you can't go on, just remember, "Hamilton wrote the other 51!"

#10 10th Jul 2017 18:53:24

EaglePrince
Knez

Website

The best balanced maps for me are those who have enough details added so that it doesn't look too "squarish". smile Well, because I prefer natural looking maps, even if that puts me in worse position. big_smile But this map seems that it's going to turn out really well, I'm looking forward to play it. smile

#11 10th Jul 2017 19:03:22

Mathew Steel
Earl Constable

doesn't look too "squarish"

I'm the same! Never used to really care, but since the first proper map I made, where I tried to make the textures look nice and natural, I've kept away from making balanced/identical territory maps. Although, I'm happy to play them smile

#12 10th Jul 2017 20:07:47

Charles of Tours
Knight Banneret

Thanks for the offer, Mathew! Click here to download an (mostly) untextured version of the map, called Pillars of Fate. If you want to add / remove some trees, resources, etc. I suggest you do the same amount on both sides of the river. I'm trying to appeal to the "strict balance" crowd and the "eye candy" crowd at the same time. lol

I'll put it in the official downloads section once we have a finished product we both like. big_smile

EDIT: link removed, as it was an outdated version of the map.

Mqb938i.png

#13 10th Jul 2017 21:24:23

Nigel
Duke

Whow, a lot of interest in a new event - great smile

Your map looks nice, Charles.
Although, I can say that I definitely belong to the "eye candy" crowd and not the "strict balance" crowd.
But your map can indeed appeal to both, especially if Mathew can texture it and un-square it a bit. tongue

Regarding playing time, my usual restriction applies to me: I am a workday evening gamer and weekends are offline (apart from the occasional forum post). And this week my weekend starts on Thursday. That said, if you do want to do something on the Thurdsday or the weekend, please go ahead. There will me more events for me to join.

Other than that, in the week commencing the 17th, Mo, Tue or Thur evening would be good for me.

#14 10th Jul 2017 21:44:05

Mathew Steel
Earl Constable

I'll put it in the official downloads section once we have a finished product we both like.

I was thinking I could re-texture the square one, but also create another save where I unsquare (yes, I just invented a word) it. Either way, I'll send you both, and both maps can be under your name smile

#15 10th Jul 2017 21:45:34

EaglePrince
Knez

Website

Aaaannd, my signature picture is finally back. big_smile Damn, that Photobucket, now stopping to host images for free, I guess that wherever I put an image from Photobucket, I would need to replace those links... Boy, that sucks... angry

As about my free time to play - I would be free to play starting from Thursday, but I may be able to play on Wednesday as well. Only I'm not sure whether I'll be able to focus on playing enough. But I'd say you could count on me on Wednesday as well!

#16 11th Jul 2017 14:24:24

Charles of Tours
Knight Banneret

Thanks Mathew, you'll definitely get a credit in the description of the download(s)! smile

Mqb938i.png

#17 11th Jul 2017 18:38:30

Mathew Steel
Earl Constable

Thanks Mathew, you'll definitely get a credit in the description of the download(s)

Re-texturing your map is almost done. It will take about another 20 minutes at most. I'll finish it by tomorrow smile

#18 11th Jul 2017 22:03:09

Nigel
Duke

I look forward to it.

As for playing it: would next Tuesday (18th July) evening work for you guys ?

#19 11th Jul 2017 22:16:37

EaglePrince
Knez

Website

Seems fine to me. 20:00 by CET?

#20 11th Jul 2017 23:15:23

Charles of Tours
Knight Banneret

Mathew Steel said:

Re-texturing your map is almost done. It will take about another 20 minutes at most. I'll finish it by tomorrow smile

Looking forward to seeing it!

Nigel said:

As for playing it: would next Tuesday (18th July) evening work for you guys ?

Sounds good to me, as long as it doesn't go past 21:00 EST tongue

Mqb938i.png

#21 12th Jul 2017 10:58:16

Lord_Chris
Lord Commander

Website

That should be no problem for me either at the moment. Although it would work slightly for me if we could bring it back one hour to 19:00 (CET). Is this ok for everyone else?

#22 12th Jul 2017 11:38:26

EaglePrince
Knez

Website

19:00 CET is fine by me. And by that we wouldn't go past 21:00 EST, as that would be 3:00 CET. big_smile (If I understood that correctly, Charles would want the game to be finished by 21 EST?)

#23 12th Jul 2017 17:37:45

Charles of Tours
Knight Banneret

Hahaha, finishing any time before 21:00 EST works better. big_smile

19:00 CET is 14:00 EST (2pm my time). That is actually a very good time, as it gives me room before and after the game to do things. But I am prepared to fight several long sieges!

Mqb938i.png

#24 12th Jul 2017 17:45:47

EaglePrince
Knez

Website

19:00 CET is 13:00 EST if I'm not mistaken? And it is also 18:00 in UK.

#25 12th Jul 2017 20:18:55

Nigel
Duke

19:00 CET (18:00 UK time) will work for me.
But it is also the earliest I could do - apologies in advance if I rund a few minutes late.

Ok, lets see. We have confirmed :
EaglePrince
Charles of Tours
Lord Chris
Nigel

Mathew, how about you? Would you also like to join next Tuesday?

If we are 4 players, we can play a 2v2 or an FFA.
If we are 5 players, we can play an FFA, or ..... I had an idea today for a 2v2v1 fixed-forces scenario smile
I am not sure if I will be able to set that up in a map until Tuesday, but I will try.

In any case, EaglePrince is right when he says that a field battle will not take all that long. 30 minutes seems a good guess and with that we could play a field battle for starters and then play a full Stronghold game on the new map from Charles.

Users in this topic: 0 guests, 0 registered users

Board footer