kian

Game crashing in the middle of it

I?ve eventually found some people to play with and the first few weeks everything was OK. But last night it just kept crashing in the middle of the game. It didn?t happen once, twice or even trice but it happened 4 times. The 4th time we just har to give up. Even though we turned off firewall it kept crashing. Any sort of help is appreciated.

I?m using game ranger btw.

Hi @kian, it's been a while! Welcome back! :)

From my experience, when the game crashes it tends to be because of instability somehow in the game files. First of all, is everyone using the non-Steam version of the game? And also, can you confirm everyone is using the 1.4.1 version of the game as well?

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

All of them have confirmed that they?re running version 1.4.1

and yes everyone is using the non-steam version

When you say the game crashes, do you mean only yours? Could you describe it more for me?

Does everybody crash?

Does the server itself freeze?

Is it stuck on "Waiting for other players"?

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

Everyone crash to main menu at the early stage of the game

Edited by kian

I've had the same issue when using the disc version of Stronghold 2. Luckily for me, the Steam edition seems to have fixed this issue. It's possible that the issue is down to Gameranger, however, it is unlikely.

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

The problem is that at first it didn?t have such a problem. This bug or glitch or whatever it is has just recently appeared.

If you're booted to the main menu then that (at least from what I have gathered) means there's a serious connection/multiplayer synchronicity issue of some kind where multiplayer can't continue, so to avoid the whole game just crashing it boots you to the main menu. Could be that certain people have modified the game, or down to internet speed, lag ......

What you could do to try and see whether this is the problem, and I know this is only a trial by error, but try having a play about with who is joining the game. Notice if there's any patterns, e.g. that when one or two specific people join the game it crashes. Unfortunately there's no real "fix" for this issue, but you could try playing around to see what the problem is. The most common cause I'd say is that it's the connection between two specific people that causes some kind of tension. If even one of those didn't join it may change.

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

Hey, it could be about GameRanger... For example, when I try to play Age of Empires 3 with my mom, the game lags too much. But when we play over LAN, then it works smoothly. I mean, sometimes it's lag that makes it hardly playable, sometimes the game only crashes.

And I used to play it on GameRanger before, there used to be no issues. I think I also had some issues with Stronghold Crusader, but I can't say anything for sure about the cause. It is only my guess that GameRanger's servers having some issues.

I have been thinking what might be the cause of these problems, and it all comes to GameRanger. I was even thinking about my router. But other than in games, my internet connection is fine and stable.

But in your case, since you lose connection, and drop to the main menu, it seams that it's simply about connection (the servers). Similar happens to me in Age of Empires 3, only less frequently in LAN. I have never had these issues with AoE before. Or maybe only in few occasions. I know these are different games, but I'm mentioning it because of GR.

Though I may ask - if you have a config file which was used by Steam version, try playing with a fresh config file. Newer versions can mess up the config file, even to be unusable with older versions of the game. Also the map. Try with an original map made for version 1.0 by Firefly. And try with lower graphic settings. That's what I would try, and that's what I'm still trying, though I don't have much time to play, so there are few occasions to try all those ideas myself.

Edited by EaglePrince