EaglePrince

Help with English grammar

Hey, guys!

So, I'm writing something, and right now I have a struggle with ordinals. Of course, we have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. We can even say n-th. Then for example, we also say one hundred and first for 101st.

But what if the number is given with an expression? If we have n+5, then it's n+5-th, that is "n plus fifth", but what with n+1? Do we say "n plus first"? Do we write it as "n+1-st"? Or we should still write it as "n+1"-th because we don't know what's the last digit of n+1?

I think it's n+1-st, but I'm so unsure.

PS. It's almost summer holidays, we should try to make a gaming event for that, what do you say for that? :)

I'm not actually 100% sure on what you're asking. However, if you know n+5 comes out as "n plus fifth", then you would be correct that n+1 comes out as "n plus first". If it's related to maths, I'm not sure you would need the st, nd, rd, etc. When I did work with n values, we would simply say "n plus one" and so on. If I've misunderstood, feel free to try and explain further :)

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

Yes, this is about math. Unfortunately, I think simply saying "n plus one" wouldn't work for me. For example, if I wanted to say "third coordinate of the tuple". But, if we make it more general, and we look at a tuple (a_1,a_2,...,a_n), then we say that a_k is the "k-th" coordinate of the tuple. On the other hand, with k+1 I got confused.

I understand that even "k-th" might not be regular, but such constructions can still be used in specific areas. For example, in English for "if and only if" one more often write "iff". I don't know if that is regular in English or not though, but it is very useful. In Serbian language we have a similar construction "akko" standing for "ako i samo ako", which means "if and only if". And I know that is not by the rules, but we need it, and we use it. :)

Now this question turned out to be more interesting than I thought it would be. I will ask some of the professors at the university, and see what they say. I will definitely tell what I find out, unless we solve the mystery on our own before that. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Topics

• Help Me Edit Assets.V (Solved)

(SOLVED) I have finished this game for the 11th time, now I want to edit assets.v to get more fun, but always failed is there a friend here who can help me? thank you my step: 1. rename assets.v to assets.txt 2. drag assets.txt to makev 3. new assets.v extract 4. compress asset folder .zip 5. drag zip  to makev 6. assets.v rewrite the original files 7. game crash even i dont make an edit!

in Stronghold Crusader 2

• Help in Choosing the Right Word

Hey guys! I'm writing some mathematical proofs, and it should be in formal language, though I think the text needing to be more formal shouldn't make it harder. It turns out that I tried to used "namely" wrong, i.e. I should have used another word. What I wanted to do is to give the information in one sentence, and then in the next sentence to give the explanation why is that the case. Something like this: I hope I gave a good example here. So, I think that the use of "namely" is wro

in The Open Castle Inn

• Hi, I'm New, I Need Some Help With What to do Next

Hey, so my boyfriend got me into playing Stronghold Crusader and I loved it.  Then he showed me SCE HD, and I bought the games on steam.  After playing through all the single player maps like 20 times, I'm bored and went looking for some more maps to download.  First off, Im a win 7 geek, and have Win10.  I have NO idea where maps go, how to differentiate between all this lingo I'm seeing, (apparently there are a bunch of games I just became aware of?)  Anyways, so can anyone please tell me what

in Stronghold Crusader & Crusader Extreme

• Need Help Running Stronghold 2: Deluxe Version 1.31

As some of you may know, there are two versions of Stronghold 2: the Standard edition and the Deluxe edition. The standard edition patches to version 1.4.1, however, the Deluxe edition patches to version 1.31; and it requires a special Deluxe patch. The good news is that this patch was included on the DVD disc itself of late releases of this game (I have a late release which includes a 1.31 patch right on the disc; alternatively, the patch can also be downloaded here: https://www.patches-scrolls

in Stronghold 2

• Sh2 Ai Editor Help (Noob)

Not sure how active this forums is, or if anyone here is able to assist.   Was having fun recently with Stronghold 2, and came across the AI editor.  (Program from this site, to create/edit .aic files for starting castle templates for the various AI personalities in game) I am trying to learn how to use it, but when I open it, it wont maximize.  I am using windows 10, the program seems to be opening and running fine, I just cant see it in its entirety. To be 100% clear on the dire

in Stronghold 2