50% (1)
Whatever, Stronghold 1 is obsolete

0% (0)
Voters: 2

#1 10th Oct 2018 22:55:01

odisseus
Armed Peasant

Feedback thread for maps created by odisseus

During the last few days I've submitted three maps for Stronghold 1 and they haven't been approved as of this moment. If my maps are deficient in some way, I would very much like to know, as I try to make them non-trivial and reasonably challenging.

I mean, how many symmetrical castles are already out there? How many castles surrounded by impassable terrain everywhere except the gate? I think we already have enough of this, and I try to make something unusual.

Then again, my skills at the game are far from ideal, so there may well be balance issues or unintended shortcuts that do away with the challenge. In the latter case, I would prefer feedback by private message, so as not to spoil other players.

Or perhaps I may just as well stop making maps, because no one cares anymore after all those years?

WBVT45O.png

#2 10th Oct 2018 23:26:19

Mathew Steel
Earl Marshal

Re: Feedback thread for maps created by odisseus

Moved to: Site Questions and Support

Hi, odisseus, I hope you're well.

In regards to your post, I can see there are in fact 3 unapproved posts in the downloads section. The first from 06/10/18, the second from 08/10/18, and the third today at 15:43 GMT. Whilst I understand you want to share your creations with others on the site, please also understand our position.

Whilst we are site moderators, we have busy lives as well. All of us are either in full-time education, or full-time profession, and as such, cannot immediately approve files. The files must be checked before approval as to ensure good quality in the downloads section. Chances are your files are of good quality, and will be approved immediately after testing. However, again, we have these guidelines in place for a reason. I promise you, we will check your uploads as soon as possible.

Please be patient. We appreciate the effort all map-creators put into their work, and genuinely love seeing new content shared. Your files will be checked on Saturday at the latest. 

EDIT: I just downloaded and tested your invasions map titled "Duel". 

I saw in the read_me file you stated the Lord would sometimes not respawn. I did as you said and restarted several times to no prevail. Unfortunately, for that reason, I cannot approve the map as in its current state, the player cannot win.

Feel free to reupload an updated version of the map and I will retest it. If all is well, I'll approve it.

Best regards,
Mathew Steel (Tom)

Last edited by Mathew Steel (11th Oct 2018 00:36:07)

"When people unite under one will, they become stronger than the sum of their parts."

Stronghold Next Giveaway - Competition

#3 11th Oct 2018 01:03:18

odisseus
Armed Peasant

I just checked the map again and it seems that the lord consistently fails to spawn on Normal difficulty. Somehow this problem doesn't occur on any other difficulty level, from Easy to Very hard.

WBVT45O.png

#4 11th Oct 2018 13:07:09

Mathew Steel
Earl Marshal

Given the nature of the map, I don’t have an issue with that. Try fix it, then resubmit it. If I’m happy that the map works well (other than the medium setting glitch) I’ll approve it. I did check into it myself and couldn’t seem to fix the issue. The map itself is a neat idea for newcomers to the editor.

"When people unite under one will, they become stronger than the sum of their parts."

#5 11th Oct 2018 17:55:44

odisseus
Armed Peasant

I have tried to add a keep, but it didn't help. Looks like this is a bug in the game.

Did you get the lord on any difficulty level at all? What is your version of the game? I have v1.41 from gog.com.

WBVT45O.png

#6 11th Oct 2018 18:25:45

Mathew Steel
Earl Marshal

I didn’t get much chance to try Easy and Hard difficulty as I treated the map how the average user would. I followed your read_me file, but the issue persisted. I’m using the latest steam edition of Stronghold HD.

#7 16th Oct 2018 01:20:18

odisseus
Armed Peasant

I have submitted a new version of the duel map. This time it works on all difficulties. However, I didn't feel like recreating all that eye-candy, so I made the map really small (thanks to the templates found at strongholdnation.co.uk/downloads/file/569-new-mapsizes-for-designer/).

The issue with the disappearing lord seems to occur only if you place exactly 2 troops of the same kind in the map editor (e. g. 2 swordsmen, or 1 swordsman and 2 spearmen). Placing 3 troops of the same kind solved the problem. That's strange to say the least.

WBVT45O.png

#8 16th Oct 2018 14:15:36

Mathew Steel
Earl Marshal

Just tested the updated version on Easy, Normal, and Hard difficulty. Everything works well. Map has been approved. Well done on figuring out the issue with the mission!

Best regards,
Mathew

Users in this topic: 0 guests, 0 registered users

Board footer