Charles of Tours

Checking in for the Summer

Hello all. Been a while since I posted here (20 October 2017 according to the site). Hoping to stay active here during my summer break.

I've just finished my third year of university, still working on Computer Science. One more year left. I can now say I'm familiar with C++ and several other languages (does HTML count? :P ).

Also wanted to congratulate and [user]Mathew Steel] on their recent(ish) promotions. You guys deserve the recognition!

How have you all been?

Mqb938i.png

Do you crave a life of adventure? Check out our Adventures in the Duchy of Riverborne and apply here to join the action!

Sir Chas......

The scene from ''Dances With Wolves''.....On The Prairie....''Why Don't He Write!'' (Look it Up, :D )

So Glad your Studies went well. Yet another fine Mind working towards ''Making America Great Again''? :rolleyes:

I have been well, despite some dings and bangs to this ''Old Frame''. Thanks for your congrats, was quite a surprise for me as well. ''Brother Goodman'' was quite shocked too...(Whatever happened to that ''Old Blade'')?

Hope you and yours are well and happy. Hope to see you gracing our Great ''Kingdom'' once again!

Thanks for the kind words. The last few years have been some of my busiest, but I've been doing well in school so I'd say it's worth it.

I spent a bit of yesterday going through the topics I've missed (only "skimming" the history section ... for now :)). Still want to get caught up with the folks around here, maybe organize something fun before I vanish for another semester. My friends in real life were also wondering where I was for some time. I wasn't captured by a secret government organization or anything exciting like that, sadly. Just sitting in a small dark room writing code. :lol:

Mqb938i.png

Do you crave a life of adventure? Check out our Adventures in the Duchy of Riverborne and apply here to join the action!

Charles! Great to see you back. I hope you're doing well. I finished my final exam of my first university year today, so I'm feeling very relaxed.

C++ is a pain in the...sally port, so well done on that. HTML is a lot of fun though I find. Chris and I have been planning some small changes to the site's CSS setup.?

I appreciate the kind words on the promotion :)

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

Glad to hear from all of you guys! Congratulations, you've been doing quite well, I see. :)

And just one observation - computer science you say... So you're pretty close to me in that sense. For my PhD theses I do algebra, and I'm having around myself a lot of people who do computer science. Though those closer to me are less into programming themselves, but more into stuff like "what could a PC possible compute", in terms of how complex would something be to compute.

Beside that, I'm teaching C# to students of mathematics at my faculty. :) Though I am a mathematician.

One more thing worth telling. Programming can be very useful in mathematical proofs - it can help you with counterexamples. A group at St Andrews University (among few other universities in Germany and the USA I think) works on something called GAP. It could be used when working with graphs, and some structures that we call groups.

I hope we would be able to play a game or two when the summer comes, together with Crusader1307. ;)

Welcome back Charles! Great to see you around again, it seems to have been ages since we last spoke properly!

Having studied Computing myself at University I know all too well how awful it is sitting endlessly away writing code for hours on end..... although, to be fair with my recent Company I'm doing virtually the same thing for that now too with creating that website....... :rolleyes:

I just can't help but just be addicted to work and "greater good" causes I guess :lol: :lol: :lol: Astrology sure was right when it said I was a "workaholic"..... :rolleyes:

I've never studied C++, but I'd always like to. It seems difficult though. My code has always been much more PHP oriented (as some of you know) but I have touched on Java (yuck) and C#. I know Tom likes his Java. What's it like using C++?

The fields have eyes, and the woods have ears.

⁠— Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale

Useful Articles

I finished my final exam of my first university year today, so I'm feeling very relaxed.

I know that feeling! Always a relief to be done with them.

C++ is a pain in the...sally port, so well done on that.

Haha, it's actually my favorite language I've learned yet. Granted I also enjoyed the course I took where I had to write in x86 assembly, so I guess it's a matter of taste. I also was sort of "forced" to learn C prior to C++ for a course where we wrote our own (very poor) operating system. Can't say I enjoyed that one! :lol:

HTML is a lot of fun though I find. Chris and I have been planning some small changes to the site's CSS setup.

Will be looking forward to seeing them. Unfortunately there's not much focus on HTML in my program, but I will be taking an elective in web development next semester, so will see.

Beside that, I'm teaching C# to students of mathematics at my faculty. smile Though I am a mathematician.

Glad to hear from you @EaglePrince! I'm hoping to learn C# at some point. I may have mentioned it before, but I am also studying mathematics at the same time as computer science (albeit at just the undergrad level :)).

It could be used when working with graphs, and some structures that we call groups.

While I'm focusing more on statistics based courses, I have taken a course in abstract algebra, so I know some of the very basics of group theory.

I hope we would be able to play a game or two when the summer comes, together with Crusader1307.

I look forward to it!

Welcome back Charles! Great to see you around again, it seems to have been ages since we last spoke properly!

Indeed it has! Glad to be back. My last few summers (and semesters) were quite hectic. Hopefully this one will be less so.

I've never studied C++, but I'd always like to. It seems difficult though. My code has always been much more PHP oriented (as some of you know) but I have touched on Java (yuck) and C#. I know Tom likes his Java. What's it like using C++?

In my opinion, C++ was a lot like Java when it comes to syntax, and that it's object-oriented. Classes have header files though, which is a carryover from C with its prototypes, which can throw some people off. Also I find the official documentation to be a bit lacking. Some people who have taken courses with me still don't understand how to instantiate classes in their Main() and that's a problem! :lol:

I prefer C++ to Java but I may be biased since I was a less experienced programmer when I learned Java. Also one of my favorite professors, who specializes in the low level / hardware side of things, prefers lower level languages, so I guess some of that rubbed off on me. Although at this point I think I would better appreciate the libraries in Java and Python that can be imported, which simply don't exist in C. :D

Mqb938i.png

Oh believe me, I know the feeling. When I first started C# I was one of the few to pick that up quite easily hah, although in fairness a lot of it was Console for the first year. Second year was much harder when we moved to OOP. See my experience with PHP did help me to move forward a bit in that area, and grasp a better than average understanding straight away. Mind saying that I don't really think the lectures were much good...... as interesting as Egyptology, the meaning of life and how to talk to people are (true stories) they're not really relevant to computing courses :lol: :lol:

I think PHP is just about the only language I can do (and actually like to do) OOP styled because it's so flexible. The documentation is really quite good too especially compared with other languages.

I've found lots of serious issues with the official documentation before as well on various other languages, which is incredibly frustrating. C# falls into those categories as does Java for me. Part of the reason why I hated doing it so much but we also didn't ever receive a lot of guidance, as you yourself know it's probably never going to work at first without a lot of support....

Useful Articles

I think PHP is just about the only language I can do (and actuallylike?to do) OOP styled because it's so flexible. The documentation is really quite good too especially compared with other languages.

We don't talk about PHP. I'll be sticking to my CSS and JS!

"Gofyn wyf am galon hapus, calon onest, calon l?n."

Mind saying that I don't really think the lectures were much good...... as interesting as Egyptology, the meaning of life and how to talk to people are (true stories) they're not really relevant to computing courses :lol: :lol:

Ah yes, the mandatory courses to turn you into a """well-rounded adult""" ... my favorite! :lol:

I think PHP is just about the only language I can do (and actually like to do) OOP styled because it's so flexible. The documentation is really quite good too especially compared with other languages.

Everyone I know who writes PHP hates it with a burning passion. So glad to know someone who likes it, for when I eventually have to learn it. I won't be so scared now. :D

We don't talk about PHP. I'll be sticking to my CSS and JS!

I wish I knew a useful language. :P

Mqb938i.png

Hey guys! I've been away for a while. I went to vacation, just like many of my countrymen - to Greece. I've "charged my batteries", it was nice. Plus, it is a place which I have mentioned before - Toroni. They have remains of an old Bizantine stronghold, I saw it before - from a ship. This time I was able to come closer and walk across it, which satisfied my curiosity. Not much to see, pretty unsafe to walk around, but still interesting to be able to see at least some of it. My girlfriend likes sea, I like strongholds, so this was a neat compromise. :D I will post few pictures some time later.

How are you guys doing? :)

Get Promoted and go on an ''Executive'' Vacation...huh....? :lol:

Glad your well and had such a good time! Was wondering were you were. Vacations are great when you can go. I went on a ''working'' Holiday this year. Maybe around Christmas I will take a proper one (lol).

As you can See, I have been writing alot. Resurrected both ''UFOs'' and ''Monster Thread'' as well. Working on some other ideas for Threads as well......we'll see.

Glad your well again!

Holiday, what's that! ;) All you need is to be a workaholic like me :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness though, glad you enjoyed it @EaglePrince....... and I'll definitely look forward to seeing some photos of it!

I've recently taken up a new job to do with my political work, so there's plenty there to keep me busy for now. I just wish I had more time to focus on the site ......

Useful Articles